[01]

Chapter One
Safe and Sound

Delia was worried that the nightmare would never go away

Delia was worried that the nightmare would never go away. That it had so deeply burrowed itself in her mind and imprinted on her heart that the burning guilt would haunt her forever. Every night, Delia braced herself for the same rounds of nightmares. Ever day, Delia tried to piece herself back together.

It had been the Reaping right after her best friend had won the Hunger Games. Delia had been so focused on him, taking care of him, making sure he was eating, and preparing him for his first year of mentoring that she had completely forgotten she was vulnerable. That the people of the Capitol reveled in previous Victors' loved ones going into the games. To them, this was a bittersweet twist. When Delia's name had been drawn, she felt her heart sink to her shoes.

Finnick looked like he was about to faint as well.

She could clearly remember a boy's name being drawn. Delia never remembered who he was, because her older brother volunteered right after with no hesitation. Aaron had always been the better one. He was smarter, faster, kinder, stronger...he should have been the Victor of their games.

Yet Delia won the games with only one kill, much to the Capitol's disbelief.

🐚

"No!" a voice screamed. It was six in the morning, the sun barely peeking over the horizon. The village was beginning to wake up, as sleepy fishermen lumbered towards their boats. However, within this small village on the water, there was one neighborhood that stood out.

With large houses and paved roads, it looked like absolute paradise. Only a few of them were occupied, as some of the buildings sat in an eerie silence. There was a hushed whisper behind one of the windows. A young woman was hunched in her bed, her hands shaking. Her choppy black hair was a tangled mess, as her jade colored eyes were bloodshot and wide.

Beside her in bed sat a man. He had tanned skin with wavy blonde hair. His jawline put sculptures to shame and his blue eyes held the unknown depths of the sea. He was wearing a simple cotton shirt, as his outstretched hands were holding the woman. "You're okay Delia, you're safe...you're okay," he whispered to her gently.

"They had Danielle...oh my God, Finn, she was Reaped," the woman choked out. She could feel his arms tense around her as she held onto him. In the uncertainty of her world, he was steadfast. He was an unmovable rock, a force to be reckoned with, and her sanctuary. Finnick had always been her best friend, and being with him felt like a breath of fresh air.

She soon snaked her arms around him, pressing her head to his chest. Delia listened quietly to his heartbeat. She did this more times than she cared to admit, but it reminded her that he was alive. After spending three months watching him fight for his life from nothing but a screen, Delia realized that she only knew he was safe if he was near her.