[06]

Chapter Six
Evaluated

Homesickness was a funny thing

Homesickness was a funny thing. It came up out of nowhere, and surged up like water rushing through a broken dam. After the tribute parade, her and Finnick were sharing a bed that night. Delia had positioned her head on his chest so she could listen to his heartbeat. She could feel the rising and falling of his chest. He was alive and he was safe. Delia tried not to let her mind wander back to home. Finnick had promised her that her family would stay safe. She trusted him enough to believe it. Still, she would enjoy being in his embrace if they were still in the safety of District Four.

Finnick was holding Delia close to him with one arm. He needed her close by. Every now and then, he'd risk a glance down at her sleeping figure. As long as she was alive and safe, he would be alright as well. Finnick held her a bit closer, trying to savor the moment. He was terrified that he would wake up and she would be gone. He was horrified that the Capitol could get their hands on her. It haunted his every waking moment. His natural instinct to protect her drove him to be better. He had to outwit and outmatch all of the people in the Capitol.

And Finnick didn't mind playing dirty.

Still, all he had to do was keep them both alive for a few days in that arena. Him and Beetee were promised safety by an unknown individual. Finnick didn't trust it at first, but if Haymitch and Johanna were also on board then it had to be true. His arm tensed around Delia. Just a few days.

🐚

"Allies? Seriously?" Delia scoffed. After a quiet and solemn breakfast, the pair was headed towards the Training Center. Finnick nodded his head, making sure he was matching her pace. "They can help us Del."

"Yeah, or we wake up with knives in our backs," Delia reminded him. Finnick laughed a bit, earning an eye roll from Delia. He seemed to be a bit too easygoing about this experience. Delia still felt slightly uncomfortable about Finnick keep secrets, but she trusted him too much to let it bother her. They approached cold metal doors that swiveled open the moment they approached.

The Training Center was fairly alive. Of course, Finnick and Delia couldn't show their true feelings for each other in front of the watchful eyes of the Gamemakers. Finnick leaned over, his breath tickling her neck as he whispered, "Play nice, honey." With those words, he disappeared over to the knot tying station.

Delia found herself feeling a bit lost. She was already familiar with the basic survival skills, and was handy with a harpoon. What more did she have to work on? Delia sucked in a deep breath and marched over to the plant area. After the mishap with nightlock in the previous year, Delia decided that getting to know some plants couldn't hurt. She began to tap on the screen, frowning as she kept getting them wrong.

"That's deadly. The sides of the leaf are a bit sharper," an unfamiliar voice spoke. Delia looked for it's owner, and was a bit surprised to see Katniss standing there. Delia nodded in thanks before returning to her screen. She wasn't sure how close she wanted to get to the Mockingjay. Revolution was a great idea as long as Delia's loved ones weren't in the crossfire, meaning Delia wanted little to no part in it.

Unfortunately, Katniss lingered. Delia decided to try and strike up a conversation, to ease the tension. "It was a very brave thing you did," Delia started.

"The berries?" Katniss asked, her startling blue eyes flicking towards Delia.

Delia still wouldn't look at her, keeping her attention on the screen. "No, at your Reaping. The first one, at least," Delia explained, "When you volunteered for your little sister. I have a little sister too, I would have done the same." As much as she hated to admit it, her prejudice towards Katniss stemmed from how much she reminded her of herself or Aaron. An older sibling willing to do anything to protect.

"I didn't think many people remembered that. I've changed a lot since then," Katniss responded. Delia stepped back from the keypad, tilting her head to the side. She had finally aced the grueling plant test. Delia turned to Katniss, moving to leave. "I don't think you have. You might not be protecting her this time, but you're protecting him now," Delia told her, motioning to Peeta.

"And you? You volunteered as well," Katniss reminded her. Delia cleared her throat, trying to figure out what to say. She couldn't say she did it for Finnick; that would expose both of their weaknesses.

Delia walked away, not bothering to look back at Katniss on her way out. "Some of us just want to go out with a bang," Delia chuckled.

🐚

It had been three days since that conversation. Delia hadn't spoken to many of the other tributes. Her and Katniss still made some small talk, but not as honest as their first conversation. Peeta taught her how to paint and camouflage, so Delia taught him how to make hooks in exchange. Johanna and Delia spent a good hour making fun of the Gamemakers' ridiculous outfits. Seeder and Chaff showed Delia how to start a fire with nothing but a rock. Beetee pointed out the invisible force field that protected the Gamemakers to her.

Finnick and Delia were sitting side by side in the room with all of the other tributes. Delia leaned over to Finnick, muttering, "I don't want to kill anyone in here. I don't think I can."

"So I take it you made friends?" Finnick asked. Delia scoffed as he chuckled. She smacked him lightly on the shoulder, which only made his grin widen. "I'm being serious, Finn," Delia told him.

"All you have to worry about right now is impressing the Gamemakers at this evaluation. We have plenty of offers for allies, so we can figure it out as we go," Finnick said. Delia felt comforted by his words.

"Finnick Odair. Please report to the Training Center for your evaluation."

The robotic voice crackled and faded away from the loudspeaker. Delia felt her entire body tense as she turned to Finnick with wide eyes. He was leaving, but only for a bit. She could handle that. He stood up, trying to make a point to not acknowledge her. It killed him to have to act so indifferent towards her, but he knew it would kill him more if the Capitol used her against him. He was their golden boy, their prized bachelor. Finnick didn't mind the attention and blackmail as long as it wasn't directed towards Delia.

She watched as he disappeared behind the door. After a few minutes, her name was called. Delia rose to her feet as she marched down the hallway. Briefly, Finnick passed by on his way out. He had his hand brush up against hers, a small reminder that he was still there. Delia steeled herself once more and walked through the doors.

Ten minutes. That's all she had to make an impression. Delia had been thinking of her plan all night, and she was glad to set it in motion. Her main goal was to get Finnick out alive. The only reason they were back in this situation was because of the stunt Katniss and Peeta had pulled the previous year when they showed up the Capitol. Delia wanted to remind them of that. That once twenty three of them were dead, there would still be one Victor left. That there would always be Victors.

She took a spear for District One. A sword for District Two. Some wires for District Three. A net for District Four. A weight for District Five. A wheel off of a cart for District Six. An axe for District Seven. A thin ball of yarn for District Eight. Some grain from the food station for District Nine. A butcher's knife for District Ten. A scythe for District Eleven. Finally, for District Twelve, Delia carefully took out the bow.

She placed all of these objects in the center of the room. Delia painted a large red circle around it, before painting the word Capitol in the center. All of the weapons and pieces she had taken pointed towards the Capitol. While it might have shown the flow of power, a few Gamemakers looked appalled. Delia scribbled in a few more words beneath her display before leaving the room. Plutarch Heavensbee leaned forward, intrigued. Below, it read:

'Twelve Districts versus One Capitol. May the odds be ever in your favor.'

🐚

A/N: TWO HUNDRED READS??? THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!! Man, I'm already so hyped to get them in the arena. Just two more chapters baby WOOOOOOO!!