[08]

Chapter Eight
Bloodbath

When Delia rolled over in bed the next morning, her hands grasped at nothing but cold sheets

When Delia rolled over in bed the next morning, her hands grasped at nothing but cold sheets. She shot up quickly, looking around. Finnick was gone, which was probably for the better, as Kitty burst into her room and announced that a hovercraft was waiting to escort her to the arena. Delia slowly got out of bed, her head pounding. Last night was amazing, but now she had a new set of worries.

Such as, the fact she could be dead in two hours.

Delia barely flinched when they injected the tracker into her arm. She felt the hovercraft take off as her and Kitty sat in silence. It only took half an hour to arrive at the arena, as she was escorted by a parade of Peacekeepers to her launching room. Once they had gotten to the area, Delia changed into her new tribute outfit. It was standard this time, to give the Victors an even chance. Still, Delia realized that these would be the clothes she would end up dying in. The last fabric to ever grace her skin.

For her token, Delia carefully put on a seashell necklace and tucked it underneath her shirt so it wouldn't fall off. Aaron had given it to her years ago. She wore it in her first games, and she would now be wearing it into her last games.

"Your interview took quite a toll on the Capitol. I have twelve interviews lined up right after this all about what I've seen from your romance," Kitty giggled, "How exciting!" Delia fought the urge to roll her eyes as she smoothed her black hair back. Her green eyes set on the launching tube as she began to step towards it.

Kitty's arm grabbed her roughly and wrenched her back into an unwanted embrace. In her ear, Kitty whispered so quietly that Delia could have sworn she was just imagining things when she said, "Remember who the real enemy is, darling." With that, Kitty released a puzzled Delia.

Delia stood in the tube as the glass door swung shut. Kitty's usual clueless expression was now replaced with one of genuine concern. Had the daft Capitol designer been planning something bigger? Delia didn't have much time to think of it as her platform rose.

Her heart was racing as the first bits of sunlight entered her tube. She barely had time to panic about the new arena, as she could hear a countdown beginning. Delia's legs buckled when she saw that they were surrounded by water. Thank god. Short paths of rock lined every two platforms. In the center in all of its glory was a Cornucopia, lined with deadly weapons. Delia turned her attention back to the paths. Most of the tributes would be heading for that first.

She was a strong swimmer. Delia couldn't afford to waste time running into other tributes on the rocks. She could go straight to the Cornucopia and look for Finnick...oh god, where was Finnick? Delia spun around in circles searching for her partner.

10.

She couldn't see him.

9.

Delia looked to her left and saw Brutus.