[09]

Chapter Nine
Run Rabbit

Finnick had never been so scared in his life, which was ironic

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

Finnick had never been so scared in his life, which was ironic. During his first games, he had hardly anything to worry about. The Capitol loved him and their sponsorships kept him well fed. Not just fed either, but armed. If receiving the most expensive sponsorship gift wasn't enough, he was also the youngest Victor to top it all off. Never once in his games was he scared because he only had himself to protect. Finnick could keep himself alive just fine, but these new games were twisted. He now had to choose between two things; give Peeta help first for the rebel cause or give Delia help first because he loved her.

Katniss was panicking as she threw herself on top of Peeta, yelling at him to wake up in between strangled sobs. Finnick ran over to Delia, pressing his palms into her chest as he gave her CPR. He blew air into her lungs, sweat dripping down her forehead. "Please, Deli, please," Finnick begged. He had never been so grateful when her green eyes fluttered open as she heaved a loud breath.

Delia's entire body ached and her head spun. Katniss was holding her arm, supporting her fellow tribute as Delia quickly looked for Finnick. It was her primal instinct to make sure he was alright. Finnick had made it over to Peeta, wasting no time. Delia held Katniss' hand as they watched Peeta's lifeless body. Delia didn't know Katniss well at all, but she knew she needed support and Katniss appreciated it.

When Peeta lurched up, his brown eyes wide, Katniss ran over to him and tackled him in a hug. Delia herself let out a breath of relief, attempting to stand up. Finnick was already behind her, helping her to her feet. "Thank you, Finn," Delia whispered.

"Don't you ever scare me like that again," Finnick responded. He leaned down and kissed her gently on the cheek before moving over to the District Twelve lovers. The group quickly reorganized themselves. As much as they wanted to take a break, the games waited for no one.

🐚

"I'll take first watch," offered Finnick as he set his trident down on the ground. The small pack had managed to find a resting place for the night, as they quietly settled in the jungle. Katniss shook her head and scoffed, "Not a chance."

"Honey, that thing I did for Peeta back there, it was called saving his life," Finnick retorted in a curt tone, "If I wanted either of you dead I would have done it by now." Finnick and Katniss exchanged glares while Peeta nudged Delia lightly. Delia cleared her throat: someone had to stop them from tearing each other into shreds.

"It's true, we need each other when we have to face the Career pack," Delia started. Peeta quickly turned to distract Katniss by saying, "Why don't we lie down? I'll take the watch after Finnick. Then Delia, then you."

Katniss just nodded her head and stalked away. Peeta gave Delia and Finnick an apologetic look as he followed after her. Delia couldn't blame her mood, considering that everyone was dehydrated and cranky. All they really needed right now was some water, but they hadn't found any of it the entire afternoon.