xChapter 75 - Abandonment (4)

"And yeah, after that, CPS has temporary custody, what comes next I'm not so sure," Marcus admits before smiling and saying, "But I'm pretty optimistic!"

In the middle of Starlight City Northern Park is Marcus Veridan at a park table. Sitting on the other side of the table are the stunned Alex Smith & Elizabeth Moore. Next to the two is an empty bucket of popcorn.

"Dude, I just asked what grade you got on Monday's math test, how the fuck did all of this happen to you in the span of like two weeks?!" Alex shouts.

"Oh well, I wasn't there for the test because of well- all of that," Marcus explains.

"I'm glad you're doing okay now but if you're ever in that sort of trouble you can always reach out to us," Elizabeth remarks.

"Yeah, you're never a burden to us man," Alex admits.

"Thanks, guys," Marcus admits, "How has Ronnie been doing?"

Their slightly cheerful banter lessens at the mention of Ronnie, Alex sighs as he explains, "Doctors say he's doing much better but he hasn't really woken up yet."

"Sally's been at the hospital pretty much every day, though she's also been worried sick about you, hell we all have," Elizabeth remarks.

"I'm sorry guys," Marcus begins to say but Alex shushes him.

"Marcus, if I hear you apologize one more time I swear!" Alex remarks.

"Okay, sorry, I'm working on that," Marcus remarks before realizing he just apologized in the sentence.

"But seriously, none of that was your fault man," Elizabeth says, "And hey, before we head over to check up on Ronnie is there anything you'd like to do?"

"I mean, I'd like to maybe get some new clothes but we don't have to-" Marcus starts to say but Elizabeth & Alex pick him up.

"Alright thrift store here we come!" Alex shouts.

"But guys! We don't need to-" Marcus begins to but Elizabeth cuts him off.

"First off, you've been wearing those same clothes since you got kicked out and it shows. Second, I thought you told me that people should do what they want to do from time to time."

Hearing his words be used against him, Marcus admits defeat as the two drag him out of the park and towards a shopping mall. Though as that happens, he can't help but wonder what Hunter is up to now.

_________________________

"Oh my god, you suck at this!" Ray Ramirez scolds Hunter Huntingson.

"Well, I don't see you teaching me this," Hunter remarks.

"I'm an assistant, not a teacher dipshit," Ray groans.

The two are in The Crescent Cafe, now its own business, and Ray is currently in the process of trying (and failing) to catch Hunter up on most of the school work he's missed out on over the school year. With them are fellow faculty & Ray's roommates; biology teacher Sam Penningberg and culinary teacher Zesti Champion.

"Hey, teaching him like that won't get him anywhere Ray," Penningberg remarks.

"Yeah, besides why'd you even tag along to this?" Zesti Champion questions.

Ray's silent for a bit before saying, "Hey Hunter, I better not see this on school grounds, okay?"

Hunter is confused for a bit before Ray Ramirez pulls out something and hands it to him.

It's a metal baseball bat.

The one he thought was burned up with the rest of the old high school.

The one his mother owned.