Ch. 17 (Chance)

*Chance*

I released a long breath, pinching the bridge of my nose as Adriana climbed into the passenger seat of my Ferrari. Lunch had not gone the way I'd hoped, and now I had a headache from it. I shut her door and walked around the car to the driver's side. I cast a glance at Bridget's car, a Jeep Wrangler, as she pulled out of the parking lot. I sighed again and slipped inside.

"She has a bit of an attitude, didn't she?" Adriana mused as she looked at me from the corner of her eye.

I put the key in the ignition but I didn't turn the car on. I slumped back against the seat, head falling against the headrest. "You did provoke her," I pointed out.

Her lips pressed into a taut line and she crossed her arms. She insisted in defense, "Well, she was rude about it."

My eyes closed at a painful throb in my head. "We were all rude," I said softly.

Adriana let out a quiet sigh, her hands falling into her lap. "But, aside from that, she seemed . . . nice."

Once my eyes flashed open, I chuckled shortly, reaching for the keys. "Don't force yourself," I teased, starting the car up.

On the road, she placed her hand on my thigh, and it brought my eyes away from the street for a moment. She enticed, "Let's go to your place."

As her hand was distracting, I removed it from my leg. I gave a small, lopsided smile, saying, "I'm taking you back to the hotel, okay?"

She groaned, not bothering to hide her frustration this time. She mumbled angrily to herself before sighing in defeat. "Fine," she assented.

While I drove her to the hotel, she watched out the window at the passing buildings of downtown Brimwell. I could tell from the bored expression on her face that the little town wasn't impressing her. I knew it wouldn't, which was why I was so surprised she had come here in the first place.

I pulled into a parking space and turned the car off. I hurried around it to open her door, and I grabbed her hand to help her out of the car. She held onto my hand as we headed into the hotel.

To lighten things, I admitted, "I don't like those heels."

She frowned as she looked down to admire her shoes. She asked, a bit offended, "Why?"

With a smirk, I answered, "They make you taller than me, and I don't like that."

She chuckled, placing a hand to her mouth. Her grip on my hand tightened a bit. She grinned, "But they make my legs look great."

I laughed, shaking my head. I pointed out, "Adriana, your legs always look great."

She took a step closer to me. "This is true," she allowed, smiling at me.

We went up the elevator to her second story hotel room and down the hall to the presidential suite, as she always settled for nothing less. At her hotel room, she wrapped her arms around my neck and pressed against me. "Stay a while?" she whispered.

Smiling softly, I told her in a quiet voice, "Yeah, but just for a glass of water." My headache was killing me.

She pouted but obliged, untangling herself and opening her hotel door. She walked in and tossed her handbag to the couch unceremoniously. She kicked off her shoes, but she was still tall without them.

I headed straight for the kitchenette, grabbing a plastic cup and filling it with water. I drowned it quickly, thankful for the cool liquid.