Ch. 32 (Bridget)

*Bridget*

"Why do you believe you'd be a good fit for the position?" my interviewer asked, smiling politely at me.

I was sweating profusely, so I wiped the palms of my hands on my skirt. I worried for a second that the woman had seen me, but then it occurred to me that I was probably screwed anyway, so it didn't matter.

My mouth opened, and I hoped my voice wouldn't shake. "I think it would allow me to explore my creativity and leadership skills. I believe the position will push and challenge me so I work harder and more efficiently."

Thursday evening, right before I left work, I received an email that informed me I had an interview for the position of Creative Director Friday morning at eight. Of course, I immediately started to freak out.

I prolonged going anywhere, hoping a drive would clear my head. It didn't, so I went to Chance's house for a distraction. I went back home afterwards to read the interview guide book my dad had gotten me junior year of college. Sheila even helped me by putting on a mock interview.

So now I sat across from a kind, middle-aged woman with bright eyes and a warm smile. She had one leg crossed over the other and a clipboard in her hands. Every time I answered a question, she would scribble something down, making me uneasy.

"It says on your résumé that in high school, you worked on the school newspaper and magazine. What did you do for those?"

As was suggested by my guide book, I took a deep breath before I spoke. I told her, "Well, for the newspaper, I wrote a small section for the sports column. And for the magazine, I selected interesting questions for the advice column."

Sheila's words came into my head from our mock interview: "Be yourself. But polite. Being as honest as you can, even if the truth isn't exactly pretty, will score you points."

With that advice in mind, I added, "But some of those questions were so dull that I would submit my own under an anonymous name."

The woman, whose name escaped me, chuckled. "I see. How do you feel these experiences would help you as creative director?"

This was a question I hadn't practiced answering. My heart thumped into my throat as I grew nervous. So I took a deep breath, gathered my thoughts, and plunged.

"Well, in writing articles, creativity meets professionalism. One must be a good writer, as well as a creative individual." I paused. "To be honest, I don't think my high school experiences will be of much help as a creative director. I don't think the position calls for writers in high school."

A perfectly plucked brow on her fair face arched in intrigue. She set down the pen she was using and inquired, "And what do you think this position calls for?"

I shifted in my seat. "I think it calls for someone with, yes, a background in creativity. But it also requires delegation skills, business techniques, and the ability to put your food down when needed."

One side of her mouth lifted into a grin. "Do you think a business major would be better suited for the job than an English major?"

"Depends," I answered with a shrug. "If the business major is an innovative thinker and can effectively express their creativity through the chosen medium."

She picked up her pen and started to write again. She looked at the clipboard to get back on track in the questioning. She asked, "Do you think your current position at Brimwell Publishing will help you as creative director?"