1.2 Fell Off the Roof

*Third POV*

Abby turned away and coughed heavily into her elbow as she plated half of the two batches of cookies for Santa. Her throat burned and her chest felt tight for a few minutes before she was able to breathe normally, "Honey, are you alright?" she heard her father ask as he stood behind her with his hands on her shoulder and waist to keep her steady.

"Yea," She croaked, "Yea, I'm fine, Dad," Her throat felt tight and raw from how harshly she coughed, "Just the season you know."

Scott looked at his daughter worriedly, "Why don't you head upstairs and read Charlie a book while I finish the cleaning up, how's that sound?" he suggested with a hopeful smile.

Abigail heaved through her mouth as she weighed her options. She had been working hard all day to get the house ready for Charlie's arrival, she hadn't remembered to stop and take a break. With a quick nod in acceptance, she grabbed a glass of water and trudged her way up the stairs and to Charlie's room, she knocked on the door before gently pushing it open. Charlie was sitting on his bed in his pyjamas when his head swivelled to see Abigail, "Can you read me a bedtime story?" He asked with a hopeful smile and shining eyes.

Abigail took a quick sip of water, "Of course, I can Char," she agreed walking into his room and towards the small shelf of books, "What book would you like?"

"Night Before Christmas please," Charlie requested as he got settled into his bed.

Abigail smiled, "The Night Before Christmas it is then," she announced as she grabbed the book and sat down in the chair placed next to his bed. She placed her water down and the bedside table before clearing her throat and opening the book.

"Twas the night before Christmas," Abigail started in a whimsical tone, "When all through the house, not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse," She turned the page, "The stockings were hung by the chimney with care, in hopes that St. Nicholas soon would be there..." She continued to read the poetic book as her brother slowly fell asleep to her soothing voice, "...when out on the lawn, there arose such a clatter..." Abigail slowly paused as she saw her brother close his eyes. She smiled and closed the book before she grabbed her water, placed the book away and silently exited the room, turning the light out on her way.

"What's that?" she heard Charlie's little voice ask, she turned with a confused look on her face, "A rose suchak ladder?"

Abigail giggled, "Arose such a clatter, Charlie," She leaned on the door, "It means to bring a loud noise."

"What?" Charlie asked.

Abigail sighed before sitting back down in the chair, "Charlie, "arose" is a word that means "it came" and "clatter" is a big noise," she explained as Charlie sat up in his bed, "Now close your eyes and go to sleep Charlie."

"How do reindeer fly? They don't have any wings," Charlie wondered while looking up at his sister.

Abigail decided to be cheeky and suggested, "Fairy dust?"

Charlie laughed, "That's from Peter Pan, Abby."

"Horns."

"Antlers."

Abigail pretended to think for a moment, "Maybe their antlers give them the ability to fly, or maybe they're weightless," she suggested with a cheeky smile that caused Charlie to giggle again.

"But if Santa's so fat, how did he get down the chimneys?" He asked another question.

Abigail shook her head in thought, "He sucks it in like Grandpa," she laughed.

Charlie's face scrunched up in thought, "But what about people who don't have fireplaces? How does he get into their house?" he asked.

Abigail sighed as she felt the need for sleep slowly creep up on her, "Charlie, sometimes believing in something means you just believe in it," she smiled tiredly, "Santa uses reindeer to fly because that's how he has to get around."