XIX

On a chilly September morning, Miss Young and I boarded the London-bound train. We had to change for King's Cross on the Underground at Paddington Station. The thought of traversing the city beneath the streets daunted me. I felt inexperienced and nervous about my first journey away from home.

Miss Young took charge of the situation wonderfully. She knew her way around and kept me close at hand. My worst fear was becoming separated from my only lifeline. Nevertheless, we made the change uneventfully, and the Yorkshire-bound train chugged out of King's Cross on time.

Spencer booked a private compartment for us, much to my relief. We stretched out comfortably, and at noon, my governess opened our picnic lunch. Avidly watching the scenery pass, I enjoyed the sense of adventure we embarked upon.

I looked forward to seeing Spence again and meeting his family. He assured me of their friendliness and wished to invite me into their sphere. Although I felt nervous about the first meeting, Claudia Young alleviated most of my fears.

"Spencer is a very nice young man," she encouraged me. "If he is a reflection upon his family, I am sure they are kind people also."

"I'm sure, Miss Young," I responded, momentarily frowning at my turkey sandwich. "It's just...well, it's just...I feel inadequate. I've never left home before, and I'm meeting my new family for the first time. What if they don't like me? What if I'm too provincial for them? I could make a huge mistake and offend them. I could..."

"You're making up scenarios that haven't occurred yet," my companion cautioned, patting my knee comfortingly. "Simply take things one step at a time, and don't try to over-guess yourself."

"I suppose." With an effort, I pushed my fears aside and bit into my lunch. Still, after a few minutes, they crept back again. However, eating in silence, I gazed at the passing scenery.

The city fell behind. Long fields of grazing cows replaced the soot and dirt hovering above London. Occasionally, we passed through ugly industrial areas and finally entered Yorkshire. Relief filled me when we pulled into our station. Noticing Spencer waiting for us, I pressed my nose against the window and waved wildly. Beside me, Miss Young cleared her throat noisily.

"Don't appear over eager, Priscilla," she tersely warned.

I sat back against my seat and glared at my companion. What was wrong with showing my excitement? Spencer had waved back energetically. I could barely restrain myself from leaping onto the platform and flinging myself into his arms. If Miss Young hadn't detained me, I would have.

Spencer helped us into the waiting carriage and ordered the stationmaster to deliver our luggage. Without further delay, we began our journey to my fiancé's home. The medieval castle that greeted us left me overawed.

"It's impressive," Spence stated, noticing my stunned expression. "We've called it home for several centuries."

"You never said you lived in a castle," I muttered, letting out my pent-up breath.

"I suppose it never occurred to me to mention it," he answered nonchalantly.

The carriage approached the portcullis and slipped through the entryway. I couldn't help looking upward at the massive stonework above me. It all seemed magnificent and beyond anything I could dream of.

"You must provide a history lesson," Claudia Young suggested. "Priscilla will benefit from the information."

I sank against the cushioned seat in dismay. Miss Young never left the classroom behind. She turned every experience into a lesson. Although I longed to learn about my new family, I didn't wish for an ongoing educational experience.