#001

5:33 PM. Day 1.

"mom really kept her promise when she said she'll have the entire place cleaned for me." i whispered to myself, noticing that there was barely any specks of dust or spider webs around. my lips curled to form a smile. additionally, i noticed that on one of the cupboards, a picture of mom and dad was framed. how nice of them.

"let's check out the ground floor first," i murmured to myself, the sound of my voice echoing softly in the stillness. the aged wooden floorboards greeted each step with a gentle creak, as if sharing in the excitement of this exploration. sunlight streamed through the windows, revealing corners adorned with the subtle charm of vintage furniture and rustic decor.

"this must be the heart of it all," i mused, standing in the cozy kitchen. the scent of aged wood and faded memories mingled, creating an ambiance that felt like stepping into a time capsule. the door of the fridge was adorned with magnets and countless pictures of baby me and my parents were posted there. aw, how sweet. opening the fridge, i was disappointed to see how empty it was. gosh, i need to go buy groceries

having checked almost everything, i found myself ascending the staircase, the wooden banister guiding me to the upper floor. pushing open each door with a quiet curiosity, i found myself inside the room that i was sure my parents used. "the master bedroom," the room was fairly large. there was a bathroom in there too and connecting the room to the outside world was a balcony. "i bet this was where my parents made me." i snickered. "and i'm gonna be sleeping in this room. yuck. dad did say he changed the bed though," i mumbled, half shrugging and stepped out to explore. 

"there's a guest room." i continued, discovering another room that smelled fairly unused. i hummed. feeling the urge for another smoke, i instinctively reached into my pocket, only to realize that my pack of cigarettes had been left behind in my new room. a subtle pang of frustration hit me as i strolled back to the room. my fingers fumbled for the pack of cigarettes, finding them nestled amidst the scattered belongings. the small balcony, adorned with a quaint wrought-iron railing. i stepped outside, the cool breeze of the countryside air offering a refreshing contrast to the warmth within.

with the city habits still clinging to me, i leaned against the balcony railing, taking a deep drag from the cigarette. the countryside landscape sprawled before me, bathed in the golden hues of the setting sun. as the smoke curled into the air, everything became a blur. a fit of cough rumbled from me as i blew the smoke.

THUD!

that came from next door. i lazily glanced, realizing our balconies were almost connected. "oh ya," i mumbled, flicking my cigarette. "i should introduce myself to them and give them the goodies mom told me to give."

with a flick of my fingers, I extinguished the cigarette before my last drag. i entered the room, talking to myself while searching for a towel. "kay, so i'm gonna shower and just sleep. tomorrow i'm gonna wake up early and greet my neighbours and then get groceries. done."

[☀️]

the morning sun painted the countryside in a soft glow as i prepared to venture out and introduce myself to the neighbors. a sense of anticipation buzzed in the air. i had a basket of goodies in hand to offer them. stepping out of the cottage, the gravel crunched beneath my feet, and the birds serenaded the morning with a melody that felt like a warm welcome.

approaching the door, i took a deep breath, mustering the courage to extend a friendly hello. as the door opened, i was greeted by the bustling energy of a family—a symphony of voices, laughter, and the unmistakable aroma of breakfast.

"good morning! i'm y/n l/n. i just moved in yesterday." i offered with a friendly smile, presenting the basket of goodies as a token of goodwill.

"ah y/n! i heard a lot about you from your mom. she had dialed me about it. welcome to the countryside and the huening family household! i'm jung yeonju but please just call me aunt." the mother of the household heartily laughed. "my husband is currently working so i can't introduce him to you but i'm sure he'll be okay with you calling him uncle."

i nodded understandingly. the lady continued, opening the door wider to let me see 3 young faces. "these are my kids. lea, kai and bahiyyih. kai is your age, by the way."

"nice to meet you all."

as mrs huening continued to talk, my eyes examined her kids, especially her son now that i knew he was my age. his presence was magnetic, and a genuine smile lit up his face as he sent me a wave.

that man is handsome as fuck.