#005

it's been a week since huening kai learned about y/n's condition. to his dismay, he couldn't do anything about it. she was at her final stage. death was preparing to meet her any day. he could just barge into her house one day and find her lifeless.

the thought of that already made his eyes watery and caused his throat to clump.

it might've been at least a month since they got close together but kai cherished their friendship as she was his only friend. there weren't many people in the area that wanted to befriend him nor were they around his age which made things awkward for him to approach them. the thought of losing someone whom he loved was heartbreaking, even if their friendship began to bloom from a short period of time.

"OI! KAI!" 

"HUENING..!" a voice screamed, "KAI!"

the guy blinked as he halted his bike. he turned towards the sound source and squinted, letting out a giggle as soon as his eyes caught the tiny figure of y/n waving aggressively to him from a distance. she was jumping and waving her arms to catch his attention. kai waved back and began riding his bike towards her direction. slowly, her tiny figure enlarged as he got closer. he could finally see her smile closer and better.

"hello!" he chimed as he stopped, "what are you doing out here?"

"i wanted to stop by the grocery store for some stuff," y/n huffed with her hands crossed. "i ran out of instant ramen. i wanted to watch a movie tonight while slurping some noodles."

"i see," kai nodded until an idea suddenly sparked his mind, she wanted to ride a bike in her bucket list! even though it's not night, i still can kinda fulfil it for her.

"i can follow you! get on my bike," he suggested and patted the empty spot behind him. y/n looked at it and there was a glimmer of excitement in her orbs. timidly, she sat behind him. kai grinned.

"hold on tight!"

y/n scowled but instinctively clasped her hands around his waist when she felt her body jolt backwards from his sudden movement. she slapped his stomach, muttering a curse at him for not telling her that he's pedaling. kai shrieked. it then ceased to a laugh and y/n annoyingly rolled her eyes. his warmth reached her and soon, she felt herself growing fuzzy. her cheeks heated up as she hugged him, cheeks resting against his back as the male pedaled them to the store. huening kai, on the other hand smiled widely. the skin ship did make him blush but he shook the feeling off as the energy oozing out of him overpowered.

"is this your first time riding a bicycle?"

"yeah.. i can't ride one. i always crash into people." shamefully, she murmured into his back. a sudden bump on the path made her clutch onto kai tighter much to the said male's content. he chuckled.

"yet you want to cycle at night?" 

y/n grew confused at his statement. "pardon?"

kai's laughter diminished as soon as his senses knocked in. his eyes grew wide like saucers and he pretended to choke on his saliva to shift the conversation. shit, i shouldn't blabber it out like that. he mentally scolded him as he thought of something else to say or to at least cover up his words.

"urh.. nothing." he answered after a while of silence. he cleared his throat to which it heightened y/n's suspicions. it suddenly reminded her of one of her wishes in her bucket list. it can't be that he saw it right? it can't be. her brows furrowed as she eyed the male before her. kai pretended as if he didn't blurt out anything and kept pedaling them to the store.

"we're here." huening kai announced after a while as he stopped his bike in front of their location. people walked in and out of the store with big, white plastic bags in hand. y/n got off first and watched kai park the bike in the corner before he jogged towards her. he flashed her a smile, "shall we?"

she hummed and pulled the guy in. the smell of fresh vegetables and fruits greeted them the moment the entered. y/n waddled off towards the instant food section. kai followed his friend but paused to grab a cart for her.

"buldak or nongshim shin?"

"both."

y/n puffed her cheeks and held the two instant ramen packets in hand. she eyed both, contemplating but in the end placed both inside the cart. kai followed her with their cart. y/n continued to ask kai what to get which didn't really help as the boy would say 'both' to anything.

"bro, strawberry milk or chocolate?"

"just get both."

huffing, the girl placed the milk cartons inside the cart and ambled forward. kai looked around and as he walks in the baking section of the store, another idea entered his mind. the baking powder, flour and eggs reminded him again of her wish in the bucket list to bake cookies. his memory of the notebook was hazy but he remembered that she wanted to bake with someone. she stated that it'll be fun. his eyes wandered to back of the girl.

"yah! y/n!"

"hm?"

"let's bake cookies."

"what? that's... so random." y/n blinked.

"i want to bake cookies with you."

"hm..." y/n pondered for a moment. she stood in front of the shelves and observed the ingredients. "i could make some chocolate chip cookies," her lips twitched into a small smile. "alright. why not."

kai's eyes lit up with excitement. "yay! chocolate chip cookies it is!" he excitedly waddled like a penguin towards the shelves with toppings, tossing chocolate chips and random stuff into the cart. the girl chuckled, finding him extremely adorable. they proceeded to gather the necessary ingredients. flour, sugar, eggs, milk and all the essentials found their way into the shopping cart.

the pair went to check out, watching the cashier scan their items. "that would be 70000 won."

"what the fuck? so expensive." y/n cussed to only herself as she dug out her money but her friend had already stretched out his hand with the bills. she wanted to stop him but kai had already hoisted the plastic bags up and didn't give her the room to chip in or hold the bags.

jokingly, he turned. "wouldn't be so gentleman of me to let a pretty lady to pay, would i?"