Chapter 1 episode 3 : The new resident

The next morning while the two children were still asleep, Akret and Mike went straight to the queen to report the matter. She said "if it can't be helped then we won't force them". She did seem to notice that Akret is stressed out because of the child waiting at her house and she offered to find a suitable adopter. Yet to the queen's surprise, Akret declined even when the queen knew she didn't want to care for the child. Most importantly she was scared. Mike told her everything including Akret's fear of having a child of her own.

The queen knew asking won't do any good in this situation. She knew Akret will be a good caretaker as she's excellent at taking care of the princess or any other child. There was no reason to tear up old scars just to satisfy her curiosity. So she without much questions arranged the papers necessary for Akret to be Ray's lawful caretaker.

After leaving the palace Akret made a quick stop to inform the orphanage. But after that there was only one place to go. She knew the new resident at her estate is probably more scared of her than she's of him. But she couldn't help feeling like she's forced to go somewhere she hates. Even when she deeply loved her home. She bought it from an elderly man who wanted to spend his final days with his family. She earned that much money thanks to her achievements at war she was unwillingly involved in. And her salary as a royal guard will only raise once she becomes princess' official bodyguard so she had no need for money.

She walked under the stonishing rose gate and the brick colored house with pale pillars and blue climbing flowers reminded her why she loves this place so much. She walked across her front yard made of small round stones most almost as small as sand. When she opened her front door a grand staircase with blue carped running up with them opened before her.

"Miss Cross! Welcome home." A servant with pure white hair tied in a bun quickly bowed to her with a nervous smile. "Thank you U. Say, nothing unusual happened while I was gone?" U shyly looked away rocking herself at the spot. "Oh ummm...there is a child....that..." Akret chuckled knowing very well her kind maid wouldn't just let the child outside. "It's alright U. I already know. The child's name is Ray and he's a demon right?" U nods confused on how does Akret know. "You see-" Akret starts explaining seeing U's confusion. "He's one of the kids I saved a while back. And yesterday I went to find him and his friends that ran away from the orphanage." Akret makes her way into the kitchen and U follows. She then proceeds to explain all that happened while making herself coffee.

"Oh my! But miss- you said you didn't-" "Yes I know. But- I can't just abandon him. And both of his friends entrusted me to take care of him so I cannot just- pass him off to someone else. I just have to believe I won't be that awful. It can't be helped." U looks at her with emphaty. "It'll be ok." U shifts into someone looking exactly like her, but is male and taller. Even with his advanced height Akret's still over a head taller than U. And so U now able to reach Akret gives her reassuring head pats while she sips her coffee. Not shifting back U continues as both of them are used to it considering that U is obviously a shapeshifter. "How about this? I make you guys breakfast and you can talk over it?" "Well I'm hungry and I'm sure the kid's too so please do so and I'll go wake him up."

U nods preparing some dishes. Akret leaves the kitchen and climbs up the grand staircase. A big room opens before her and at the end of it there's a short hall with stairs in the middle that lead down and with a window above the stairs. In the hall are also two doors opposing eachother. She knocks on the left one. She hears as if the kid jumped out of bed in shock. "Ray? Are you awake kid?" She gently opens the door and finds Ray standing just next to the bed in the almost empty room staring at her with purple eyes. "O-oh! It's just you miss Cross...I didn't recognise your voice... I-I'm sorry." "What is the apology for?" She leans on the wall next to the door. He steps back so he's almost touching the bed with his legs. The silence is making Akret overthink. "I'm s-sorry that my friends dropped me off here I-. I will leave-" he speaks after the neverending yet quick in reality pause. "Huh? Oh no you're not going anywhere. I promised your friends I'd take care of you. And you don't have to be sorry. Just-" she stepped closer, but stopped because Ray was forcing himself agains the bed. Not even once since she was in the room did he return eye contact and he was caressing his arms that he crossed just now.