You Found Me . . .

Chapter 3

Ezra and I made our way back to the others in silence. If I could guess I would say that he was worried about the fact that he would have to share all the food he had gotten from the prince that he had hid under his shirt. I sighed inwardly knowing just how futile his efforts were. They would find the food and they would beat him for trying to hide it.

"Hey, um, Ezra?"

"Yeah?" he sounded distracted.

"You know you should probably put the food in your hand so they don't think you're trying to hide any of it."

"But I am. They all ran away and left me. Why should I give them any?" He had a point there. Still you couldn't be a street kid and selfish at the same time. They would kill you.

"Ezra . . ." He looked up at me as if he was impatiently waiting for me to speak. I sighed, outwardly this time. "You know you won't get away with it so for your own sake please just don't give them a reason to hurt you."

"But if they hurt me the prince will show up and save us like he just did."

I took him firmly by his shoulder at this point. "Listen to me. The idea about the prince, get it out of your head. We are street children; he doesn't have time for us. Soon he'll have a whole country to worry about so please stop saying that." Especially around Chloe. I was sure that if she knew what happened after they all ran away she wouldn't have hesitated to kill me. This brought me to my next point. "Oh and Ezra one more thing."

"What?"

"When we get back let me do all the talking, got it?"

He nodded and that ended our conversation. When we got back my heart was pounding furiously. Would they even be curious as to why it took so long for us to escape? They came out of the tents as we got close enough to be detected.

As expected they crowded us when they realized that we had food; each grabbing more than their hands could hold. My heart skipped a beat as Chloe came from our tent and stormed over to me. She looked beyond pissed. I had to be humble and hope that she had no grounds for her anger.

"Kiara don't tell me that you wasted your turn!" She blasted as she got over to us.

"Yeah!" Someone else chipped in.

"No, of course not!" Each of us girls had to save our virginity for a well-paid man who would be able to set us up for some time. Dia sold hers to a hotel manager who provided enough for us to be comfortable for 3 months. Amanda sold hers to a passing merchant who gave us a few pieces of gold that we sold to get more food once we got desperate. In a way that was how we girls were expected to contribute towards the survival of our little clan. I was never too comfortable with the idea though. I could never see myself sleeping with just anyone. Chloe still had hers but she said she refused to waste it on anyone but the prince which would explain why she practically stormed out of the tent and over to me. She probably thought that I had beaten her to it. Yikes wouldn't that have been a disaster.

"Then why do you and Ezra have all this food."

"We asked for it." I said, fear quickly creeping in as I took in her expression. She didn't believe me I just knew it.

"Yeah right!" She slapped me across my face. I held my hand to my cheek and looked at her in shock and fear. "You little whore!"

Ezra dropped the food that he hid under his clothes despite my warnings and clung to Chloe. "She's not lying! The prince told us to take it and bring it back to share! Kiara didn't even want to eat anything while we were at his table so he packed up all the food and told us to leave!"