No Time To Hear Reasoning

Chapter 23

---Kiara’s POV---

Later that day Ezra and I decided we would go looking for Rolan. I really needed to see him before he left.

“I’m sorry Princess but the prince isn’t in the palace at the moment.” One of the palace guards informed me.

“What?! Where is he?”

“He was deployed earlier this evening along with the first 50,000 men in our army.”

My eyes bulged wide. “He already left? And with only 50,000 men?”

“Not to worry Princess the men deployed were only precautionary measures taken to ensure that the battle never reaches here. Everything will be fine, you will be kept safe and if anything should happen we already have safe zones in place for the royal family.”

“Well I suppose that’s fine but I really need to speak to him so is there any way you could get me out there, at all?”

“I’m afraid not.”

I sighed. “Alright, well thanks anyway.” I turned, completely disappointed and led Ezra away. There had to be some way of getting to him. He needed to know. Infact I was sure that if he knew that my name wasn’t Kiara this whole war could have be put to rest before it had a chance to get very far.

“So now what?” Ezra asked as we walked down the hall leading back to our room.

“I don’t know.  . . I guess I’ll just have to find a way to get to him before they get very far.” I said reflectively. Ezra nodded and we walked on in silence until we came to the Queen’s door. As we were about to walk by the door swung open and the king walked out.

“Oh hold on, just a minute.” He called after us. We stopped and turned to face him.

“Yes your majesty?” I asked.

“Can you please let Rolan know that I need to speak to him before we deploy tomorrow.”

“Umm . . . Rolan already left. . .”

“I’m sorry what?” he asked.

“He had left earlier this afternoon with 50,000 men in order to keep the attacking soldiers from attacking the actual kingdom.” I informed him, still not able to believe it myself.

“And nobody bothered to explain this to me?! How could they have sent my son to war without me?! Have they completely lost their minds?!” he exploded. I felt myself shrinking as he glowered over at me and Ezra. I almost wasn’t able to speak but I drew on what little courage I had and tried to explain.

“I don’t think they had much time to do anything your majesty.” I tried. “Rolan left rather suddenly—I didn’t even know that he was gone.”

He looked at me thoughtfully for a moment before he spoke. “Alright, well thank you for that, I guess I’ll head out and see if I can catch up to them before they get very far.”

“Wait!” I blurted as he turned to walk away.

He turned back to me with curious eyes. “C-can I come with you . . . ? It’s urgent that I see Rolan as soon as possible and in fact it could be a matter of life and death.” I pleaded earnestly.

“You’re not pregnant are you?”

“What? No your majesty, the message isn’t anything of that nature—but it’s still very much important.”

He looked at me in deep thought again. I guess he wasn’t too enthused about taking a young girl out into the front line but it wasn’t as if the battled had started. If I could just get to him before everything blew up then things would be just fine. “Alright but if I see that the place they are currently at is of any danger at all I’m sending you right back and I don’t want a fuss or an argument about it. Clear?” I nodded eagerly. I was just thrilled to have the opportunity in the first place.