Jaded

Deets: Madmakz (IZ*One) - WC 5251 - Written by user @Lala_Lals at https://archiveofourown.org/works/49414438 - [NR]

"Wonyoung, I think you're supposed to let me go, so I can find more tokens."

Wonyoung didn't realize she was still holding onto Sakura's wrist. Why hadn't she let go yet?

"No, I think I'm gonna keep you with me," she says. "I don't want to have to catch you again, so you're staying with me until the game ends."

She thanks her brain for coming up with a reasonable excuse. An excuse for what you might ask? Even she was still asking herself that question. She didn't want to delve into why she wouldn't let go of the other girl or why her grip might be a tad bit too tight. Now wasn't the time for that. Instead of addressing the surge of thoughts welling up inside her head, she plows through the hedge maze they're in, pulling Sakura behind her in one random direction after another.

They make the next few turns in silence. The one cameraman following them must have followed Yujin out, leaving them alone.

It could have been calming, a moment away from the big cameras and producers. If only it weren't for the small cameras and mics still attached to their clothes. The weather is exceptionally nice, perfect for filming a variety show outside. The dozens of idols, all from the biggest groups of 4th generation kpop, had met under a bright, clear sky early this morning to begin filming a variety show. This new program was centered on friendly competition and more importantly (and more anticipated by fans) on interactions between the groups that always seemed to be pitted against each other. With the growing prominence of social media, interactions among groups of different agencies and even different generations were becoming more common and even expected of today's idols.

It was only a matter of time before someone came up with the idea for a show solely focused on generating these interactions for fans to see. That's why she and the rest of IVE were out in the countryside for the first of many weekends along with the members of (G)I-DLE, ITZY, Kep1er, NMIXX, Le Sserafim, and NewJeans.

She should have known she'd be interacting with her former IZ*ONE members as soon as she heard Le Sserafim would be included. And she should have known that the producers would try to push the four of them together because of their past connections. She just didn't think it'd be as direct as making them opponents in the opening game. Now they had to chase their former IZ*ONE members along with their new members around the course as they searched for hidden tokens.

It doesn't even make sense. Her group has one more member than theirs. It wasn't fair from the beginning, and there were other groups present with five members that could have been paired up against them.

But no. Their two groups were called to be the first two to compete.

She and Yujin knew immediately what the producers were trying to do. They have been in this industry for quite a while now. They weren't exactly rookies anymore.

"I'll take Kazuha-ssi," she had said when they were lining up and thinking of a strategy. She should take one of their tallest members as a taller member herself.

"Then, I'll take Yunjin-ssi," Yujin had said, exchanging a quick smile with said girl across from her. By taking on other members, maybe they could avoid the interactions the producers were trying to force.

But she guesses their interactions were inevitable.

Kazuha was fast. While she wasn't the most competitive member by far and it may seem like she's just there to have fun, Kazuha was outrunning her and hiding from her better than she had anticipated. Wonyoung was on her tail for most of the game until she took one quick turn that left her alone in the courtyard.