Follow In Death

A/N: Free Palestine!

For those who don't know there is a genocide going on in Gaza, if you're able to please sign a petition to stop the genocide or donate to charities who are helping the people of Gaza. ❤️

The sun slowly rose up, it's warm rays making its way into every home. The warm sunshine filled Leonardo's bedroom, as he was laying down in his soft bed, while the thick blanket hugged his frail body.

Chris was holding his wrinkly hand when he noticed the sun had risen.

"Look Leonardo, the sun is up." Chris spoke softly.

Leonardo smiled at him, his smile was just as kind and gentle as it had been throughout his life.

"It has, hasn't it?"

They talked and talked, until tears fell down Chris's face.

"Oh dear, what's wrong?" Leonardo asked as he caressed his cheek from where he was in bed.

"I-I don't want you to go... *hic* I don't want you to leave me alone...." Chris said, his voice full of cracks and sorrow as more tears poured out of his eyes.

Leonardo grew a sad smile.

"You can always make new friends." He said in a comforting way, attempting to ease the child's sorrow.

"It won't stop me from missing you! And I'll eventually have to say goodbye to them too!" Chris cried out.

Leonardo desperately wanted to say something to make him feel better, but nothing he could think of would do so.

So instead he sat up in bed and hugged Chris, who hugged him back and cried into his chest.

They stayed like that for several minutes before Chris managed to stop his tears, once he did Leonardo smiled at him.

"Chris, I love you more than you could ever know, you're like the child I never had." Leonardo told him.

Chris wiped a tear before speaking.

"I know.... I love you lots too..."

Leonardo gently put his hands on his shoulders.

"Promise me you'll try your best to be happy after I'm gone." Leonardo requested in a voice full of love and affection.

Chris was silent for several moments, part of him didn't want to, after all it would mean he'd have to say goodbye to the person who gave him so much warmth and happiness.

He eventually mustered up the courage to promise him though.

"I promise." His voice was quiet when he uttered those words.

Leonardo's smile changed to a peaceful one.

"That's all I could ask for." He said then layed back down onto the bed.

When he did, Chris grabbed ahold onto his hand once more, never wanting to let him go.

They stayed in silence, just grateful for eachother's company, until Chris noticed that Leonardo had stopped moving.

"Leonardo?...." Chris's voice was a whisper.

He looked at his peaceful smiling face then went closer and saw that he his breathing had stopped.

Tears began to flow from him once again, and as they left his cheeks they disappeared into thin air.

"Goodbye....." Chris's voice was so quiet that only he could hear it.

He cried by his body, mourning the passing of his friend. He stayed by his side until the day was leaving and the sun was setting.

When the moon and stars illuminated the night, he heard someone enter the closed shop. He could not bring himself to leave Leonardo's side, instead he just made sure to keep himself invisible.