Chapter 5 - Some Loss, Some Found

The Dancing Star

Chapter 5

12Thirtypain03

WARNING: This story is rated M for mature-rated content. If some acts of violence, blood, or anything easily triggering make you uncomfortable, please leave and do not read. Any change to a character, when introduced, killed, changed into a demon/human, or more will be labeled in the chapter of occurrence. If a character has died in a chapter, that chapter will give a cause of death to that character.

Tanjirou's POV

After the defeat of his supposed demon self, Tanjirou once again fell into an unconscious state of uncertainty.

However, as Tanjirou was once again brought into the unconscious state, another one of his memories once again began to play.

"Wait, so who is our ancestor you are talking about, Father? Was he the one to start the dance?" A young, 4-year-old Tanjiro had just asked his father about his family, and ancestors to be specific. Ever since his father had told him about that and demons, Tanjiro, in his child-like state was curious as ever to learn about stuff he's never seen before.

"Indeed." Tanjuro, Tanjiro's father had been the one to explain to his son, having sat down with his son near his bed. Currently, his figure was sitting on his bed where he was resting, due to his ailment affecting his bodily movements.

Tanjiro, for his part, was more intrigued by the story his father was telling him. It was such an experience since the most recent times he spent with him were far and between.

"The farthest of our ancestors I remember was an individual who went by the name of Sumiyoshi. He was the striking figure of our face and body, looking pretty like that of you." Tanjuro chuckled at his little remark, "But alas, he befriended an individual who was adept in dancing."

"Dancing?" Tanjiro asked.

Tanjuro, nodded, "Indeed, he was among the most prolific dancers, well unofficially, and he had befriended Sumiyoshi. As for how I'm unsure about how they befriended each other."

"But." Tanjuro continued, "What I do remember is the friend sticking up Sumiyoshi, with their respective wives."

"What were their names?" Tanjiro asked, clearly intrigued.

Tanjuro chuckled, "I don't know, but both Sumiyoshi and his friend had their respective wives. Sumiyoshi had a three-year-old boy, whilst his friend just conceived a baby girl."

"Awww, so cute!" Tanjiro squealed, finding the story relatively fun and lighthearted. For now, it seemed very typical and outgoing as a family story would go.

"Alas..." Tanjuro suddenly, got very mellow, as if what was about to be said was tragic.

And it was.

"Sumiyoshi, his friend, and their wives, all got into a demon attack," Tanjuro revealed.

Tanjiro gasped, "Demon attack?"

"Yes, man-eating demons, they attacked our ancestors." Tanjuro, despite relaying the story, showed no ill will, nor hatred in his voice. It was still the same, calm, collected, face that was at ease.

"What happened?" Tanjiro asked.

"Both Sumiyoshi and his friend's wife died, protecting their children. The women they loved, perished due to demons. Both of the males had stayed back to stall the demons, but when they found the place they anticipated their wives to be, it was just the children, and the wives were nowhere to be found." Tanjuro explained, "They were probably eaten by the demons."