Bloodtech

Make us whole. Make us one.

"YOU'VE GOT IT," SHE cheered. It missed by half a mark. That half was enough. "You had it . . . "
Sickly scarlet dripped off the targetboard.

"Damn thing keeps slipping out from under me," he grunted. "No matter what I can't keep it in my grip."

She shrugged, "Get a better grip?"
"Will do –"

"De La Cruz; Russo!" a voice called out. The tan woman at the entryway beckoned them again. They responded in formation around her.

"I see you're still struggling with your aim," she said looking up at the young man.

He sucked his teeth, "Problem isn't my aim it's keeping it in my hand long enough."

"Alessia, how do you think we can better help Ryder with his situation?"

She looked him over, "Better body placement, maybe lighten up on the size of what you're expecting to hold and focus on gripping the smaller parts. The smaller ones will converge and make the whole."

"Astute observation," he chuckled.

"She's right," she smirked.

A hot breeze blew in and Alessia could swear she tasted metal, that all too familiar taste . . .

"I'll put it to the test next time. Director Dang, if it's all the same to you I'm going to go clean up all this blood from off of me now." He gestured at his once white shirt.

"Yes," she said nodding, "please do. Alessia, walk with me a while?"

Sending him on his way they circled the perimeter. "The two of you have improved at a steady rate, I'm glad to see you're keeping an eye on him."
She shrugged, "He's close. He's getting better."

"A year ago now, the two of you would be stuck in the washroom slaving away trying to rid your uniforms of the mess."

She shook her head, "There's nothing more natural. I've grown accustomed to it."

Dang leaned against the fence and peered down at the bustling streets far below. "You all have."

"Something wrong?"

Sidestepping the question, said, "How are things? Still having the same dream, hearing the same words?"

She hesitated a moment. "Here and there." Dang narrowed her brow. "A little more often recently."

She opened her mouth to speak but Alessia started again. "It's nothing, I promise. I'd tell you if it were getting worse."

"Like you did now, you mean?"

Realizing her flaw she said, "Like I did now . . . I apologize."

"Don't apologize," she said caressing her chestnut curls, "talk to me next time." Her eyes glanced across to the other side of the roof.

"Look at that," she gestured to the pasted targetboard. It was pockmarked with splattered blood, some in darker hues, which made up a series of abstract forms.