Heartbreak Valley Part One

RYDER THOUGHT BACK AND LET HIS MIND RETURN TO THAT MORNING, ALMOST FIVE MONTHS AGO. The morning he made it official and broke things off between him and Jaketta. But then he remembered something. He hadn't actually heard her agree to a mutual end to their relationship. She was confused and stared at him a long while. When he left her room she didn't make a sound, no contest, no argument. It was quiet. Eerie. It made Ryder nervous.

Now, however, he let the thought slip into the recesses. This was his time to enjoy himself. Himself and the beautiful woman next to him in the passenger seat. He stroked her hair then let his hand fall onto her thighs. She was wearing tight shorts and a crop top revealing the form of her large chest. Ryder leaned over and kissed her. He kept his left hand on the steering wheel. Najrina laughed and kissed him back.

"Are you sure you should be out like this? I thought Zaida wanted you under constant supervision."

"Nah, I'm not gonna get hurt. Besides, I got you."

"A sweetheart you are." She pressed her lips against his. When they came to a stop she motioned her hand against his groin. "I think we need to make a quick pit stop."

"Nah, no, no. We're almost there."

"Okay," she sighed. "But when we get there . . . ?"

"Absolutely."

* * *

The heat of the sun warmed his back. It helped with the black shirt he had on. He was golden in the bright rays. Strong. Healthy. Almost back to normal, he thought.

It all had a shady, rich feel to it. Ryder frowned but saw Najrina smiling at the sight. The corner of his mouth arched slightly. This was a prosperous place. Real-estate moguls, business tycoons, morons with too much money to know what to do with it, fatcat don's with their mistresses from foreign countries. It was a golden cesspit.

Ryder found a lot to leave the vehicle behind in. It was neighbors with a series of sleek, visibly expensive rides. He felt a little strange and out of place with the lineup. They walked toward the massive building wedged between two large crimson oak trees. The trunks were thicker than any he'd seen in the countrysides of Blackford.

It was a gorgeous day. The orange ball of fire in the sky turned it into something else. The cities brick sidewalks and golden streets were blinding. The metropolis was bustling, and teeming with life were the ecstatic droves of visitors basking in the heat and taking their chances with the outdoor games. Rows of pachinko machines lined the outdoor quadrants. People were jumping with the fervor for more. Greed. Avarice. What a place.

The inside was more than splendid. A palace. Every detail was cultivated with expensive taste. Expanses within the casino pit consisted of gilded gaming tables. Beautiful velvet felt, huge exquisite machines, everything shining and dappled in the blazing sun from the skydome high above. It must have been at least four-hundred feet high. Najrina eyed a roulette table and bit her lip. He gripped her waist, the skin exposed from her attire, and pulled her in close.

"Let's look around first? We just got in here."

They steered towards the bar area to Ryder's chagrin.  The man perked up. Najrina ordered. Ryder copied her.

“You sure about that?” he said. “Exactly the same? I should warn you, it's got a kick to it "

"Yes." He looked at her and smiled. "Why not live a little."