Our Choices

HE'D HAD BETTER SLEEP IN A PARKING GARAGE. The wait in the airport and the five hour flight with an unexpected layover was not ideal, but with her it was more than bearable. They got back to the rows of apartments assigned to the registrants. It was still early when they got to the room. Inside, Najrina glanced at the clock by the bed. Twelve twenty-four. She yawned. Tossed her bag across the room and fell into the bed. Sank into the blankets and pillows. Motioned for Ryder to join her.

She snuggled closer. She moved her weight onto his side. Her head was resting on his right shoulder. His thigh was jammed between hers. He coiled her brown-gold hair in his fingers. She laced her fingers through his sandy brown. He could feel the scratch of her eyelashes against the skin on the side of his chest as she blinked.

They had been laying there the better part of an hour. Najrina sat up on her elbows. "I'm going to take a shower."

He watched her undress and walk into the washroom. Heard the shower start. The surge of water cascading off the stall wall. After a while he heard her call out, "You coming?"

He smirked. "Be right there." He took his jacket off and went for his shirt.

There was a sudden knocking at the door that broke up the tender moment. Ryder sat up straight, startled. The knocking continued. This time louder. He shook his head and relaxed his neck. Sat up and found his light jacket. Shrugged himself into it. He walked over to the door, then stopped once his hand was inches from the doorknob. His face went pale. Something was telling him not to answer it.

"Ryder?" He heard a voice say. Problem was he couldn't tell whose voice just spoke.

Slowly he turned the handle. He slid it back and had to peer in with his good, right eye. No. Oh, no, no, no. He slid out of the room and shut the door behind him.

"What the fuck are you doing here?"

"I'm sorry? You're expected back today, I hear."

"Yeah," he said. He was panicking. Trying to think of something, anything to get him out of this and away from her. "Jaketta, what are you doing here?"

"I missed you. I wanted to see you," she said, leaning in. "I feel like we left off with some unfinished business."

"No," he said, gently pushing her back. "We finished that business."

"I love you. I know you love me too. Let's sit and talk about it. It would be healthy for us. For our relationship."

"What relationship? I thought — Jaketta I thought . . ." The picture formed. He got it now. "Oh, no." He gave a deep sigh. "Jake. I'm sorry. I thought you understood. We're, me and you, we're done. Not together. It's for the best. I'm sorry. Really, I'm sorry, I really am." He shuffled back to the door. "I need to get ready to go soon. I can't take up too much more time. I hope you understand. I really do."

She stood there. Confusion painted across her face. The same feeling as before. She watched the door close and with it the hope of finding clarity and understanding in someone she trusted so much. How could he do that? Again?

* * *

SHE SLAMMED HER FIST downward onto the railing and ran down the steps. She wiped away bloodstains from her tears. A nasty side effect from the Bloodtech. But she paid it no mind. The one thing running around in her mind wasn't a thing, or a person, or a feeling. It was a question. Why? She repeated it. Again and again. Ceaseless. Why is it so hard to be accepted, to be loved, to be appreciated, she thought. Why does it have to be so painful, she thought. She collapsed on a bench near the Tower. Let the tears flow. She sobbed and her vision was blurry. She held herself. I am loved. She sat that for a long time, slowly rocking back and forth, repeating the words.