re:Direction

ZAIDA GEET SAT ON THE OAK BENCH UNDERNEATH THE DEEP BLUE AND SOFT PINK SHADES of a Songapple tree. She sipped from her thermos. Steam wafted out in thick, whispy motions. She stifled a yawn but surrendered and allowed it to run its course. From here she could see the city of Saint Victoria unobstructed for miles in each direction.

The late winter light of day glinted off the skyscrapers. The city looked like one massive polished piece of glass with intricate details layered across it. She gripped her thermos tight as a breeze blew in. A blast of sirens came from far below in the streets; mornings in the city.

"Hope I'm not bothering you," a soft voice said.

Zaida turned in her seat and gave a smile to the young girl. It wasn't forced, it was a genuine smile. "Not at all, Alessia."

She walked over and stuffed her hands into her coat pockets. Zaida gestured at the space next to her and she took her seat. They were facing the skyline and its bright façade. Alessia winced when she leaned against the backrest.

"Are you still injured?" She almost got out of her seat to check the young girl.

Alessia raised a hand. "I'm fine. It's healed on the surface, just phantom pain."

She looked her over. "I'll perform another full panel sometime this week. Jaketta pulled through the best, surprising given the tears in her uniform but none of them broke skin. She got lucky. Najrina too, but I'll keep her on a liquid citrus diet for another day or so."

"I was going to ask . . . ."

"Alessia, you have every right to ask about your cube members. They're your team, your group."

Alessia fiddled with her zipper. She wanted to pull it up but each time she couldn't force enough pressure into her hands. They simply shook and she gave up. Zaida leaned toward her and zipped her coat up to its collar. "I know you want to ask about them, so ask."

"Johnnie . . . and Ryder?"

She smiled and took another sip then sealed the lid. A few last tendrils of steam slipped out. "Johnnie is awake. She says her head feels like a jackhammer pounded into it but she came out of her coma rather quick. I've kept her in the infirmary on bedrest for the past week now, on the same diet as. Najrina. I was going to tell you and the other girls but the last thing I want is a recovering registrant to become overwhelmed and then we end up backtracking on all the progress made."

Now her face darkened and she clenched her jaw. "That was the good news. Ryder is . . . he is a different case entirely. I don't," she said with a heavy sigh, "I don't know what exactly was done to him that night but he was put through hell. He hasn't woken up yet. I had him transferred to the intensive care unit, put in isolation and monitored around the clock. All faculty are in the loop on his current status and care plan. If — when — he wakes up he'll be disoriented. There is an extreme likelihood that he may suffer from amnesia along with other mental and physical ailments. He's going to need time readjusting to the world. He's going to need patience and your support, all of you."

"Now, what I'm about to tell you I'm doing so confidentially. The abstract solution is a pure anomaly.  It is dangerous and it will have negative repercussions the longer it is exposed. My idea is to dispose of it. But Director Dang has it in her mind that the alternative would be better."

"Well, yes. We've made it our primary objective for two years. Why do you sound suspicious of it?"

"Oh, Alessia. I was naive like you once. I don't want what I'm saying to scare you or push you away, not at all. No, I'm trying to warn you." She pushed her thermos away and clasped Alessia's hands. They were cold and she had to pull them out of her pockets. Zaida's was warm to the touch. "I don't trust Director Dang." She shook her head. "Not one bit. There is something unnatural about her motives. She operates in the shadows with her own plans and I believe those plans are about to be finalized sooner than expected."