Heartbreak Valley Part Three

THEY COULD SEE ISLA CITY IN THE HORIZON. IT'S MONUMENTAL SKYSCRAPERS seemed to crack the sun. The sun blazed directly behind three of them. Najrina gripped his hand as they drove on. The CozyRest wasn't a bad spot, all things considered. Rasmine was to thank for that. She wondered how the girl was doing. Then her mind drifted to Jaketta and her heart sank. She felt a pit in her stomach like what she was doing was somehow wrong. Ryder and her weren't together anymore, so what was the issue if there was no issue. Making up imaginary scenarios would only make things worse.

They drove through the massive city until they reached the annex and passed off into the countryside. It was something else. Massive, towering, blackwood trees with thick black leaves surrounded them on all sides of the paved road. Other vehicles shot past in the opposite direction of the lightning yellow Thundercat. Ryder sank his foot onto the pedal. Felt the engine. Felt the rush. His lane was open for miles of paved country road. He took advantage of it. Najrina and him whooped and cheered. The wind blew hard and fast. She had to fix her strap or else the wind would slide her top down.

They cruised onto the dirt road leading to the farmhouse. The Russo residence. It was a beautiful redwood house nestled next to a field of golden wheat. The same one Ryder and his sister would stroll through. It stretched for miles. The Russo's owned acres of this land and never had any issues keeping up with federal property taxes. Then the federation seemingly brushed them aside, closed the books and let them have it, untouched by any government oversight. Good deal.

He parked the vehicle next to a large red pickup. Old man Russo's when he was still alive and kicking ass. Ryder remembered years ago working on it and the other pet projects lying around the area. Good, pleasant times. He missed him terribly now.

They got out and shut the door. Ryder slung Najrina's bag over his shoulder. Adjusted his shades. They walked up the wooden steps. They creaked with each stride. Then he knocked. Rapped a little harder on it. Najrina saw a massive shadow being cast over them. She looked up and saw a freighter vessel soaring high above.

Then they heard the hallway floor creak. They heard bolts and chains snapping and clinking. Then the door opened. Ryder's mother stood there. She looked so young that for a moment Najrina thought she was another sister. Didn't look a day over thirty. She just stood there, laughing and grinning.

She looked the girl up and down. "You must be Najrina. Better come in," she said. His mother stepped aside allowing Najrina in first. Then, when Ryder was through she shut the door and squeezed her son tight.

"Look at you, haven't gained a pound on you." She had to get on her tiptoes to frazzle his hair. "My boy." Then she looked across at Najrina. "And you are even more beautiful than I could have anticipated."

Najrina blushed. "He's a regular Charleston Clark, yeah?"

"Oh! You've seen his movies?" She glanced at Ryder then back to her. "A lover of the classics. Don't you mess this up Ryder."

He waved them off and looked around. Before he could ask, his mother said, "Kendall's upstairs." She turned toward the first floor railing and shouted, "Kendall!"

They could hear a muffled, "What?!"

Ryder laughed. His mother made a face. "Don't what me! Get down here, your brother's home!"

Ryder's mother caught something and he knew she did when she performed a double take on him.

"Oh! Oh, woah. Hey, come here. Since when do you wear shades in the house?"

"Mom, it's nothing," he said, gently pushing her hand away.

Najrina sucked the air through her teeth and watched.