Chapter 1 - Trip

Twelve days until Christmas.

My family and I's Aspen trip was only one day away!

Since my brothers surprised me with our Christmas Break trip they have kept their mouths pretty shut tight about what we were doing and anything about that. I did manage to get a little bit of information out of them. We were leaving tomorrow the 14th and coming back on the 28th. So exactly two weeks spent in Aspen! And yes, that was the only information I got.

Caleb and I did some research — which included me looking up a bunch of stuff about Aspen Christmas and asking him what we were going to do and him just repeating "I don't know" over and over again. But Aspen looked super cool! Some of the pictures looked like they were straight out of the movies and I was very excited about that.

They did, however, tell me enough about the place and I got information from my vast internet searches to know it was going to be very cold. Cold and snowy. Meaning that I had to pack layers!

Cal and I went out yesterday to do some shopping because if the environment is a movie I need to look Like I can be in a movie! So, I picked out some super cute winter clothes and lots of sweaters and warm outfits. He said that we'll get snow jackets and that sort of real heavy things there if we were going to go skiing or snowboarding. So I just got some regular clothes.

I've never been skiing or snowboarding so I would like to do that, but at the same time I don't know if I'd like it and I don't know if we're even going to do that. I have a hunch we are, however, because Caleb is always boasting about his killer snowboarding skills so I can't imagine he'll pass up an opportunity to show up the skills he always brags about.

Packing is what I'm doing right now. I forced Caleb to come into my room to help me pack so he's currently sitting on the bed doing something on his phone and looking up every once in a while when I ask for his opinion. Unfortunately, Ace said he had some work to catch up on because he's planning to take most if not all of our trip off so he needed to tie up some loose ends.

I don't mind at all, however, because I'd rather my brother be absent during stupid packing than have him have to stay home and do work while we're trying to have fun in Aspen. And I know that he'll stay true to his word and not work on the trip because he said he wouldn't.

"So let's think. I need 14 pants, 14 sweatshirts..." I started to list off the things that I would need to pack in my suitcase.

I don't remember going on planes all that much even though I know I've been on some of them, so I don't really know how a lot of things work. But my brothers said that you got one backpack carry on and one suitcase that would go in the upper bins. They said that they were going to check one bag with stuff I wasn't allowed to know what was inside. That meant I needed to fit all of my clothes into one suitcase. That wasn't a huge deal for me, however, because I don't think I need that much stuff.

"Slow your roll!" Caleb cut me off before I could continue listing out my list. "We have a washer and a dryer there, you don't need to pack clothes for every single day."

"I need my options, Cal!" I admonished.

"Seven days worth of things is more than enough, I think." He sassed back.

"Fineeeee. I need seven shirts, seven pants, three pj's plus sweatpants and lounge clothes, three jackets, five sweaters, plus my puffer, socks, that sort of thing ... ummm. Two beanies. Is that it?" I asked.

"That should definitely be enough." Caleb nodded at me, chuckling slightly. "We can also get stuff there, if you're missing anything. Don't overpack."

"I'm not going to overpack!" I stressed back, going into my closet and pulling out multiple things.