24th May 2020

Adanna was just coming back from her favourite Ice cream place, Coldstone creamery in Onitsha where Michael had suggested that they meet. Adanna could still feel the pain from the news Michael had given her in her heart. It seemed her heart was placed into a juicer machine and it keeps squashing her heart with greater power each time as though to extract every drop of blood in her heart. It was 24th May 2020, their six years anniversary . Adanna had spent twelve hours on her makeup,picking the perfect dress and getting the perfect gift. She was very excited and could not wait to see what gift Michael got for her. Michael was unusually early which was a sign that something was not right. He had already gotten her ice cream for her and he had gotten exactly what she loved but he was not smiling. The look on his face was that of disgust and unhappiness. He took out something that looked like a paper from the bag he had placed underneath his chair and handed it to her. She thought it was a poem he had written for their anniversary just like last year or tickets to see a movie like two years ago, so she excitedly ripped the envelope open. It was an invitation to Michael's wedding which was taking place in two weeks time. She was too shocked to speak and all she could do was stare at the name of his bride to be. She had to feel the imprinted letters of the lady's name with her fingers to be sure she was not imagining things. Maybe it was her name and her eyes were playing games with her, " I really should listen to doctor and eat a lot more onions" she said while still staring at the name. Samantha Daniel , her best friend was Michael's bride. Adanna looked up at Michael and asked him, " I thought Samantha had traveled to Spain six months ago, what is her name doing on a wedding card with yours?" " I drove her to the airport myself and she would have called me if she was returning early than she planned". Michael grinned and said, " she never traveled, it was all staged to fool you. She has been at my house for the past six months, she is heavily pregnant and my mom wants us to get married before the child is born". Adanna stared at Michael in utter disbelief, she kept praying in her head that all this should be a prank . Maybe Michael wants to propose to her but he wants to test whether she trusts him at all but his eyes....his eyes were saying otherwise. Her boyfriend had been cheating on her with her best friend, does that mean that their six years together meant nothing to him? Tears welled from inside and attempted to course down her cheeks but Adanna had to hold them in. She didn't want her twenty thousand Naira makeup to be ruined for something that might actually be a prank. All she could bring herself to mutter while struggling to keep her tears in was " why? Michael has our six years together all been a joke to you?"