Chapter 18: This Fatal Brawl

This chapter is brought to you by The Devil Doesn't Bargain by Alec Benjamin. 

--- 

The mission debrief was less than satisfactory once Nine and his team got back to Vesna. 

Lord Eartha was standing in his study with a grim face. Standing in front of him was Venus and Uranus. 

Nine had his men dismissed but kept one hand on Belwyn. 

The other two were free to leave.

"Cat, Peacemaker. I see that the mission was successful?" There was tension in Lord Eartha's voice. 

Was this not a good time?

He discreetly glanced over at Venus and Uranus. The younger had the same frown as Lord Eartha while the older looked like a dead man walking. 

Nine nodded curtly and presented the documents Belwyn was able to take from the cultists before the building blew up. 

"Evidence. Target is dead, and Poppy Field confirmed the higher ranks have been eliminated." 

Lord Eartha drew a long breath in satisfaction. "Good, good. At least something had gone right this evening."

Nine blinked and eyed Uranus unhappily.

He heard Venus call his name before the communication implant cut off. 

There was a pull, and Nine noticed Belwyn trying to get out of his grip. He had forgotten he was holding onto his arm. He let him go. 

"Puppy," Nine turned to him. 

Blue eyes turned to him with some apprehension. 

"Who was your handler?" 

The focus of the room turned to Uranus once more. 

The man stared at the floor, flushing red in shame. 

Nine unsheathed his daggers--

"Stand down, Cat," Lord Eartha ordered sharply. 

Tension rose and Nine reluctantly tucked his weapons away with a click of his tongue. 

He narrowed his eyes at the man. 

"You could have killed him," Nine told Uranus.

The man paled. 

"N-no, Lord Arcadia, I..."

Lord Eartha sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose with agitation. "My apologies regarding my nephew. He has proved himself incapable. Uranus, I am moving you back to the Ancestral Estate." 

"What? But Uncle, that's in the Capitol--"

"Exactly. You will no longer be affiliated with Vesna from henceforth. Not after you nearly got your agent killed."

"But what about my post--"

Lord Eartha silenced him with a single gesture. "Venus has shown he is ready. While he was not able to show his best in front of Cat, he alerted Poppy Field and Hydrangea of what happened and brought them over to aid Cat and Peacemaker." 

Uranus pursed his lips. His hands balled into fists, and he glared at Venus with obvious resentment. 

The boy didn't look at him. He was too busy staring at Nine. 

After a moment of silence, Uranus stormed out, slamming the door behind him. 

Lord Eartha looked tired. "My apologies to you, Peacemaker," he said to Belwyn. "Uranus broke his oath of neutrality and sided with House Calypto."