Chapter 24: What's In A Name?

This chapter is brought to you by Just One Yesterday by Fall Out Boy.

---

"He's doing it again." 

Quin crossed his arms and leaned against the wall of the alley entrance. He stared, unimpressed by the way Belwyn Monttevi had once again approached Toby.

"Unworthy."

His twin, Juno, who was perched on the wall, mirrored his expression. 

They had worked with Belwyn on missions before and knew the Monttevis were not as bad as some Calypto loyalists described them to be. 

Quin and his brother worked best in team missions, which was unlike the Calypto's system which specialized in solo assassinations in the dark. 

Upon joining the Calypto mercenaries, they became a part of the unit that was sent out to aid the Imperial Military as a strike force. 

This unit was designated to work with the Monttevis, who specialized in traditional warfare. 

That was all to say that Quin and his brother held little prejudice for the Monttevis, despite having joined the numerous brawls between the Calyptos and the Monttevis. 

Though they were not Calyptos by blood, Toby was theirs, first. They did not like it when those of the Monttevi House insulted their older brother.

Quin was unafraid to fight. Toby's honor was on the line, and as his brother, he would defend him to his last breath. 

Monttevi dogs were unworthy of being within Toby's presence.

Alongside them were those other nameless men and women who believed themselves suitors, demanding he look at them and dance with them. 

They did not deserve an ounce of Toby's attention, yet they took it as if it were their right. 

By starting brawls, by challenging him to a duel, by requesting he help them--every one of those bastards wanted something. 

The Calyptos, at the very least, knew who Toby belonged to. They rarely bothered him. 

But the Monttevis? 

Look at the way they stared at Toby, as if he was their rival. As if they were worthy of being his rival. 

Tch. 

Annoying pests. 

"Who the fuck is that?" Quin demanded, glowering at a man dressed in a House color he had never seen before approaching Toby with a smug grin. 

---

Juno stood from his perch and jumped down the wall to stand behind his brother. 

He, too, watched as a man they had never seen before approached Toby and Belwyn. 

Though he looked arrogantly confident, Juno noted a weakness in his steps. 

Hah. 

Unworthy. 

All of them knew Toby was pretty. 

It wasn't the first time their older brother had been invited into someone's bed.

There were offers back when they were living in The Arena. 

Those of them who had been older knew what they wanted. 

Toby was beautiful and had many mouths to feed.

As an executioner, he was a killer, not a child. 

Those people hounded him over and over, relentlessly pursuing him with their unwanted advances... until they went too far and ended up in The Arena with Toby as their reaper.