Chapter 43: From Ancient Grudge Break To New Mutiny

This chapter is brought to you by Man in the Box by Xdinary Heroes.

---

Part VII

---

Nine was giving his report to Lord Eartha in the healing ward when the alarms set off. 

Lark and Wren immediately stood in front of them with weapons drawn and readied as they stared at the door warily. 

Then the door burst open and Venus' head nearly went flying. 

Lark and Wren stopped before their daggers could graze the young Stella's neck. 

Venus' pupils were blown wide with adrenaline as he rushed past the two assassins, dragging Pluto along behind him like a rag doll flying in the wind. 

"Mantle City has gone rogue!" 

There was a moment of stunned silence as everyone took in the information. 

Then, slowly, Nine tried to sit up--

"Sit down." 

But he was ultimately pushed down by Lord Eartha. 

The City Lord pursed his lips with displeasure as he turned to his nephew. "I think we all figured that out, Venus--"

"No! You don't understand, Uncle. They've gone rogue. They've broken their oaths!" 

Just as Venus said those words, the city sirens began to ring. Loud, blaring horns shrieked in warning, outdoing the Tower alarms in both volume and pitch. 

It was no longer just the Tower of Truth that was at risk of an incursion, now.

"Eartha! Mercury has been kidnapped!"

Lord Eartha's secretary burst into the room, bleeding all over and sporting a head injury that made even Nine cringe at the sight. 

It was obvious he had been attacked with no warning. He was gripping a small sword in one hand, the blade stained and dripping red. 

Lord Eartha's expression darkened and he rushed out of the room without another word. 

Nine caught a glimpse of his face as he left and knew the man was ready to wage war. 

"Lune, why don't you sit down?"

Lord Eartha's secretary sat down on one of the empty beds in the healing ward, and no sooner did he do so than the healers swarmed him. 

Pluto and Venus shared worried glances as the alarms and sirens continued to ring. 

Nine observed them for signs of injury. There was a bruise on Venus' neck and a small cut on Pluto's cheek.

"The prisoner escaped," he stated, rather than guessed.

He had been informed of the situation regarding the Mantle agent infiltrating the Calypto Manor. It was the fault of the guards for letting someone sneak in without notice.