Chapter 1

Ethan's POV:

I still can't believe that it all leads to this.

Just staring at the kitchen knife I'm holding right now.

I don't know how minutes I spaced out now but I probably spaced out.

Is this the right thing?

I shouldn't regret doing this.

"Dude, how long are you gonna stare at that? Let me use it, too. I'm so hungry!" I just stared at Jaden, he just told me earlier that he have a big appetite. We just got home from jogging.

Instead of giving him the kitchen knife, I continued spreading the chocolate in my bread and gave it to him.

His face light up as he received the bread and started eating it. "Wow, Tristan. Thank you!"

I stood up and get some bread before leaving him on the kitchen table, heading to the sofa. As soon as I sit on the sofa, I heard his footsteps and followed me here.

I'm just staring at the ceiling. Leaning my head on the sofa, lost in thoughts and he suddenly asked. "Are you sure you're doing this? This is dangerous..."

The sound of chips he was eating and his question break the silence between us after sitting on the sofa.

He saw how irritated I am before looking at him and answered him a question. "How many times are you going to ask me that?"

It's been two weeks when I first saw him and he keeps asking that. He was suspicious at first but when I heard that he was an intel to the organization I was referred to, I talked to him. For some reason, I feel like I already know him but at the same time, I don't. It turns out he's not an intel, he's also a hitman.

I didn't even know his name until he introduced himself, ‘Jaden’. I introduced myself as ‘Tristan’. My real name is Ethan Monesi. Why would I give him my real name? I bet that's not even his real name because that's what I told to before entering the organization of assassins. Yes, hitman.

Hearing him sighed turned my head to look at him.

He's also now staring at the ceiling. I just stared at the ceiling again because he didn't say anything after sighing.

"Why are you with me, anyway?" I asked.

He hesitated at first before answering me that made my right eyebrow lift. "Normally, you should be doing a task individually..."

"...But you're a new one that's why you are needed to accompanied," he added. I just nodded, not satisfied with the answer.

Are they testing me before giving me an actual mission? This mission that doesn't need to kill? To have a normal life? It's kind of funny, since I was raised to definitely kill. Growing up on this intricate world, I won't forget that underground training where even a baby was raised to kill. Wait, is 3-4 years old are still called baby? Well, I guess they're still a child.

"Oh, have you already seen the envelopes? I remember it's in the drawer," he suddenly stood up the go on the cabinet near at the small television.

I also stood up and saw him holding one metal clasp envelope. I also saw a white long envelope with the familiar seal, it's the D.C.O.’s seal. Discreet Camouflage Organization. I took the envelope and started opening it to read, Jaden did the same, too.

"Ronan's University Arts School? Isn't that where you are studying now, Tan? What year are you in again? I forgot."

I looked at him in disbelief because of what he just called me, he's busy reading what's inside on the metal clasp envelope. ‘Tan’? I feel like my head is hurting right now, so I calmed myself by gently massaging my temples.

Still, I answered his question because he looks so unbothered and just reading. "Yes, that's where I'm studying right now. I'm on my third year this school year. What does the envelope says?"

"It says, I am now Teo. So please, call me Teo from now on. I'll be transferring in your school by next month! Furthermore, the details here is impressive. Ugh, I'll be stressed out now again because of school." It looks like he will throw a tantrum because of the mission assigned for him that's related of staying here on my house or let's say, in this small town.

"Okay, Teo."

"Do you have an idea what to do now? I don't know anything related to the program mentioned on the envelope. Wait, what does yours says?" Letting him grab the envelope might be the wrong idea but I did let him grab and read what's inside of it.

Amused face was shown on his face. "Wow, Tristan Carter. What a nice fake name for the cover! Our name sounds cool, mine's Teo Anderson."

"Well, good luck, Teo. I'm looking forward to meet you next month." I jokingly bumped him after saying that. He just laughed.

We're cousins now, that's what it said on the envelopes. Fake papers, to be exact. He's also going to my school. It's not a big deal anyway, since I was known as a good student here.

I suddenly remembered going out, I should walk the dog of my nearest neighbor by this hour of the morning.

"Hey, wanna join me walking some dogs?"

"They will pay you afterwards," this words of mine automatically made him say yes and then I grinned.

He keeps asking me questions about this small town as we go jog to the house we are going but there are times that it looks like he already knows this town. His whole existence is triggering me of something I can't remember. I just can't quite put my fingers on it, is there something I don't remember?

"Hey, Tristan!" Oh.

"..Yeah?"

"Yeah? Yeah, your face. I called you three times. THREE TIMES. I'm close to say Earth to Tristan and Tristan to Earth! You're spacing out again, dude. We're already here. It's this house, right?"

"Yes, it is." What was I thinking again? I forgot. He keeps blabbering.

"I already rang the doorbell. Quick! What should I say?!"