Chapter 1: A New Encounter

January 2nd, 2077
United States, Washington D.C.

President Alexander Sterling, 38 years of age, and 58th president elected into office, was in his office reading through the latest that's reached him. Most of it came in the form of email files which he scrolled and read through. The more sensitive stuff was handed to him on paper.

In his new position as president of the United States of America, he was obligated to ensuring the country's future for the next four years, and eight if he won the reelection. Being president was not as fun or enjoyable as many would believe it to be. It was hard work made more complicated knowing your policies and decisions could have a major impact on the world around you, with few opportunities to actually enjoy the little things in life.

Being president was important, but boring.

Despite this, he persisted in his job. Already enacting several promises and policies that helped him win the votes of the people. Focusing around the prosperity of the United States itself.

The United States as a country owned many territories, such as the entirety of North American, the West Indies, the Hawaiian Islands, and the Northern Mariana Islands. All of this territory made the United States the most geographically and ethnically diverse nation. Before his election, the previous president had established new projects in the northern states of the Canadian regions to expand infrastructure. This would open up new housing, build new job opportunities, and allow oil company's to exploit several untapped oil deposits and build new pipelines. For the past eight years since its conception, these projects have been largely successful, opening new thriving communities and partially reducing the increasing prices of gas nationwide. President Sterling intended to uphold and continue funding these projects, while making his own project down in the southern states of the Mexican regions. Instead of building new infrastructure, he proposed improving existing infrastructure that would support better quality of life for residents and open new job opportunities. He also proposed a new nation wide labor standard which would affect large businesses, forcing them to have a set number of employees. This would open several new job opportunities that would benefit the U.S. by tackling unemployment, which has been an ongoing problem for many years.

Unfortunately a new domestic issue had arisen that prevented any progress in the southern states.

Just a week after his election, a terrorist militant group hailing as the Liberación Mexicana sprung up out of the blue, targeting large populated areas and conducting cyber attacks against multiple organizations, including the United States government. They're responsible for the deaths of several thousand non Mexican Americans and millions of Mexican Americans now homeless and seeking shelter in refugee camps.

Major cities and infrastructure were destroyed in the recent fighting between the terrorists and soldiers sent in response. The states of the Mexican regions shall never be the same. But that didn't have to be a bad thing.

Once the fighting was over, the terrorists rooted out and the regions secured, the states shall be rebuilt. What remains in ruins shall be demolished, and in their place will be something newer and better. The people will thrive better than they were before the fighting. While more expensive than he previously planned, it was sure to increase his reputation and win votes from the people. He even made a speech after being inaugurated into presidency, declaring that the terrorists will pay dearly for their actions, and that justice will be served for all who've suffered by them. The military were certainly busy hunting down the terrorists, raiding their safe houses and uprooting their cells.

Sterling looked through and read a document about the Space Force requisitioning more funds for the construction of a ship yard station in orbit of Mars. A idea he agreed with, able to further expand the US influence across the Solar System. The United States already had a few research bases on the moon, mining outposts on Venus, and the foundation of a full fledged colony on Mars, still under construction. Right now they were in competition against the Third Reich's Weltraumstreitkräfte, which was the only other space force that could effectively compete in the abilities of the USSF. They too built bases, and outposts across the moon and Venus, but were right now expanding outwards towards the Asteroid Belt rather than Mars. Which was fine, leaving the red planet all to Uncle Sam. Other powers like the Soviet Union could only launch satellites into orbit, while China was still trying to develop their own space force.