Chapter 5: Operation Fire Fighter I

Wood Elf Capital Ruins

The Fire Salamanders walked carelessly through the immense wall of fire that they created, indiscriminately burning everything in front of them. As they roared, massive jets of fire spewed out from their maws. Tress they'd set on fire were toppled over as they pushed through without opposition.

"This is going much better than we'd initially expected." Following behind the fire breathing lizards were legionaries and mages under the Eldorian Army, being lead by Legatus Legionis Aelius Maximus. For over a month he'd lead his troops on a campaign of eradicating the wood elves and burning down everything that existed of their civilization. This included all of the Enchanted Forest as the wood elves were connected to it in some special way. The use of salamanders had been greatly effective in burning the forest and everything living in it. "At this rate we'll be done at least an entire month sooner than planned."

"Legatus Legionis!" A Centurion came running up to Maximus and stood at attention. "Sir, we searched through the ruins of the wood elf city. No survivors have been found, and every body we uncovered is burnt beyond recognition."

"Very good. Their capital is no more, their military is nonexistent, and their king has been slain." More like burnt to a crisp. The continuous use of the Fire Salamanders has left their armies seeing almost zero action. Despite this being a successful campaign, it was extremely boring. But the power and utility of the salamanders was undeniable. With them becoming a more common asset amongst the Eldorian Army's legions they would appear nearly unstoppable. Though they did produce a lot of smoke with their nonstop use of fire, which would've choked their own legionnaires were it not for mages keeping much of the smoke away from their armies. "We will continue marching behind our beasts until we reach the end of the Enchanted Forests. Those pointy eared fools will have nowhere left to hide or rebuild as we burn their entire home to the ground."

The plan for burning the Enchanted Forest was not just out of extermination but also expansion. Once the smoke and ash had settled, Eldoria will expand and build upon the ruins of the Wood Elf Kingdom, revitalizing the land in their own image and for their own uses, and becoming the sole ruling nation over the entire continent.

Maximus could already envision everything. The ash covered surface replaced by lush grasslands and non-Enchanted Forests. He was promised prizes by the Imperator himself, including land he could call his own. He pictured himself settling in a large villa with his family, surrounded by farmlands from which slaves would work in. It was a life he felt he very much deserved after devoting most of his life and youth in service to his—,

There was suddenly a massive explosion not far away, followed by another from the center of an entire legion's worth of legionaries. Shouts of confusion turned to screams of terror and panic as several more explosions shook the very ground around them, killing several thousand more legionaries within the blink of an eye. Maximus was stunned as the shaking caused by the explosions nearly knocked him off his feet, though he remained upright and standing, quick to access the damage and effect those explosions caused.

Almost a of quarter of his entire army of 500,000 troops had literally disappeared, or were either a mangled bloody mess. He assumed this to be the work of magic, but wouldn't the mages've detected and defended against any spells? Said mages who remained looked stunned and confused as they too inspected the damages. Centurions were at work trying to calm and reorganize their legionaries back into formation and to take up alert and defensive positions.

The air echoed with several more explosions as Maximus could see eruptions of debris and smoke from a location that almost made his blood run cold.

"What position did those other explosions come from?" He asked one of his centurions.