Chapter 6: Operation Fire Fighter II

January 13th, 2077
Eldorian Empire, Roma

The Eldorian Empire was well developed for its time, especially within its major cities, including the capital of Roma. The Empire had a paved network of roads and bustling cities made out of concrete, which was highly favored for its durability and versatility in construction projects. The market places were always bustling with activity, keeping the flow of money across the Empire. Legionaries patrolled the streets and harbors, keeping the peace and always vigilant for any insubordinate activity.

Recently however, the city was thrown into a state of panic and disarray when the shipbuilding yards of the capital suddenly exploded. All the facilities and ships under construction were destroyed, and several workers were killed.

The people were obviously terrified and fearful, but legionaries maintained order and kept the people from rioting while they demanded answers from their ruler.

Imperator Lucius Aurelianus was sitting on his throne, pondering over what had transpired two days ago. It had come to a surprise to hear that the entire shipyard had been destroyed, specifically. Even graver news reached him of military vessels not returning on schedule, which could only mean his fleet was under attack. Despite the loss of a single shipyard, his empire had several more on every coastal city, not just his capital. If his empire was under attack overseas, they could still build more ships if needed.

He was curious about the progress of the invasion over the Wood Elf Kingdom. Last report very much pleased him as they were progressing ahead of schedule. The next report from their supply convoys should be arriving sometime today. Hopefully nothing had affected them while they were away.

"My lord," A Legatus Legionis approached and kneeled. "Sir, we've completed our investigation of what remains of the shipyards. We were able to determine that no one had infiltrated the site and rigged it to explode. However, some witnesses have admitted to seeing something fly into the shipyard right before the explosion."

"Something flew into our shipyards?" Could that be what was responsible for this attack? "What did this thing look like?"

"Our witnesses could not provide accurate detail to determine its shape or identity. However they did claim it moved very fast and silent. Its oncoming trajectory projects a potential source some distance overseas."

"So it indeed was an attack." Aurelianus declared. Who in their right mind would think of attacking his empire? It couldn't possibly be the Imperium of all nations. Last his sources checked, they were currently conquering another race of dragon kind. The Black Tribe specifically. His empire had conducted trade with them in past, exchanging valuable goods and food items for aetherium, an ore with vast magical properties. However when the Imperium declared their intentions of conquest across the dragons' island he was forced to severe all trade deals or risk becoming a target as well. He despised the Imperium, perhaps more so than the elves. They represented the biggest threat to his reign, and would indeed take it away from him if he allowed it. Which was why his armies needed to be large and strong, and why he invested so many resources into breeding fire salamanders for his many legions. With hundreds or thousands, his forces might be able to come face to face with the Imperium and win. "Establish a lookout for any of our warships out at sea. Also, has there been any word of any supply caravan's return from the frontline?"

"No my lord. Not a single caravan has returned yet, nor have we received word of their imminent return."

"They should've been here by now." The Imperator grumbled. "Organize a legion with enough supplies to march to the frontline. Have them search until they find—,"

He stopped when he heard an explosion, similar to the sounds of two days ago. The explosions were followed by the sounds of screaming peasants and yelling soldiers. Aurelianus stood up from his throne and walked out to inspect the damages. Looking out he could see several rising columns of smoke from within the city. By the looks of it, the sources appears to be the city garrisons used to house the soldiers assigned to patrol and defend the city in the event of invasion. That could only mean the city was under threat, and someone wanted to make the odds more in their favor.