Chapter 2: Elves in Panama

(AN: Sorry for the long wait everyone. I rewrote this chapter who knows how many times, then I went on 2 week vacation for a cruise to the Bahamas, Universal Studies, and Disney World during which I got sick. But I'm now back. Hope the wait was worth it.)

Sometime ago...

"Elara! Elara! Elara wake up, now!"

Her eye fluttered awake at the loud and irritating voice that disturbed her. Her first reaction was to grab her pillow and use it to cover her sensitive ears.

Only for her pillow to be grabbed and pulled off with force. "This isn't the time Elara! Get up, now!"

"Thalion...what's the meaning of this?" Elara asked while still half asleep. She wasn't pleased with being awoken by her brother Thalion. She looked up to see the face of the elven man standing beside her bed. His face looked rather disturbed and anxious.

"Get dressed and grab what you can, hurry! The Eldorians are entering the forest!"

"That can't be." Elara stated. "The guard should preventing that from happening in the first place."

"The guard is gone!"

It was that statement when Elara started smelling smoke. This alarmed her since fires were dangerous at this time. They experienced a very rough dry season, and the wet season hadn't brought enough rain this year.

The forest was still very dry.

Jumping from her head, she came across a sight that brought an unfathomable amount of fear and disbelief.

Across from her humble home and the rest of the village, the forest was ablaze and burning. A curtain of smoke rose over the raging inferno. From her window, she could feel the intense heat that was inching closer. From within the fire she noticed the silhouettes of oversized lizards spewing fire into the unburned areas of the forest, letting it rage uncontrollably. Further behind them was the unmistakable mass of soldiers cutting down the still burning trees and traversing over them when the flames died down, leaving nothing but ash in their wake.

"This can't be happening!"

Present...

"This can't be happening."

The life and hope had seemingly drained off of Elara's once flawless face, now covered in spots of soot and dirt from the horror's she and many other elves had gone through.

They'd lost everything. Their homes, their livelihood, and now their futures.

The Wood Elf Kingdom had burned for several weeks, slowly being devoured by the never ending wave of fire that sought to reduce the entire forest to ash. Those who were supposed to defend the kingdom had been burned with the forest, leaving what remains of the entire kingdom largely defenseless.

Elara once lived near the border, where King Starleaf had issued his warriors to defend. The soldier were very kind and full of spirit, determined to ensure the safety of the forest and the Wood Elf Kingdom.

She could only image what their final moments must've been, facing those flames.

They escaped, at least for now. With the fall of the Elven Guard and the ever invading fire, the King had declared a kingdom wide evacuation into the uncharted northern regions of the Enchanted Forest. That was where the borders of the Elven Kingdom ended, and hopefully where the Eldorians would stop their rampage.

She, her brother, and many other elves from her village had joined up with other elves from another village. They were making their way through the dense biome of the forest, carrying whatever they could from their lost homes. Other groups of elves were making their way to northern regions, one of which was rumored to be escorting the princess, Elowen Starleaf, in an effort to rebuild the Wood Elf Kingdom, should the king's last stand effort end in failure.