Chapter 3: You Shattered Me

"She's in a coma still, her ribs are healed and her vitals look good. She'll wake up soon, we shouldn't worry." 
"Poor girl's going to wake up an orphan, though..poor thing is 17 years old and an orphan. 
"We're going to have to see how she fares when she wakes up. Anyone she can live with?"
"Yes, her aunt and uncle, thankfully."

These words echoed in my mind.. tearing me from sleep to awareness. Something was in my throat, making me choke. A nurse rushed over and gently pulled it out, causing me to cough and gasp for air. My vision was slightly blurry, making it harder to make out where I was. "You're okay, you're okay. Do you know where you are?" The nurse asked. "Hospital.." My voice was hoarse. "Good and your name?" The nurse looked really worried. "Or..Orchid Johnson.." I answered, coughing a little. "Good.." She checked my vitals and eyes. "M..My parents..where are they?" I felt so weak and tired. 

"Your parents..passed away. I'm so sorry, Orchid but..you were the sole survivor.." 

Everything froze..everything ended..everything didn't make sense.. "Wh..what? I..I what?" I sat up, my body protesting. "No..no, please..please they have to be..wh..what about my brother?" I was desperate. If..if my brother lived..maybe I can go on..if not.. "I'm so sorry.." 

I lay in the bed, broken..shattered..gone. Shock was still there..the grief not yet taking place. It's funny how grief works..it hits you out of nowhere. The mind takes a while to react, while the rest of it knows that it happened, that its real, that there's no escaping it. The nurses checked on me, my body healing..my mind shattered. Everything I knew..everything I am..is gone. Now, I am going somewhere where my real self is better off hidden. 

The nurses and doctors helped my body get better, however, I would have a permanent limp and scar on my left leg. Another scar on my stomach and throat, from the severe crush injuries that the crash left me. Walking around the hospital to see if I was good to go, my blood went cold as I saw my aunt and uncle. They were talking to the receptionist, asking when they can take me home. My body started shaking, I almost couldn't breathe but held myself steady.

The nurses helped me back to my hospital room. I almost fell to the ground in shock when I saw them. I got dressed, the nurse helping me since my leg was weak. In the mirror, I catch a glimpse of the scars on my stomach and throat. The nurses then prescribed some medicine for me to take and then my aunt and uncle took me with them.

I took a shaky breath, resting my head on the window. Everything I knew is gone.. everything I loved is gone.