Chapter 2:

It had become dark. Only the glow of the headlights showed the uneven course of the long, run-down street. At this point, all that was visible was some stones that once made the road. Kayleb had calmed down significantly. Even Luke could feel his alpha's slowly returning inner calm. He was content with that, but when he looked into Kayleb's eyes, they were filled with inner unrest. Nevertheless, he studied his Alpha's facial features so intently that he even gave him a one-sided smirk.

Luke quickly turned away, slightly embarrassed. Even without words, he could tell his gaze made his alpha uncomfortable. Even though he was sensible, he knew his Alpha had trouble expressing his emotions and was undoubtedly ashamed that he cried.

However, neither of them said anything, which freaked Jason - who was watching the entire scene - out, as he never got to the point where he could connect with Kayleb on a level where they didn't need words, even though they had known each other their whole lives. It pushed him into a spiral of fear and worry. He cleared his throat, trying to get Kayleb's attention. But he was plainly ignored. Annoyed at being ignored, Jason scooted up in his seat. He stuck his head between the headrests before him and stared at Kayleb.

"How did you two meet?" Jason asked his friend in a sweet tone.

But Kayleb could hear the hidden disgust and unwelcome attitude in his voice. He wondered when his former friend had become such a fake person. Suddenly, a terrible realization dawned on him: What if he had always been like this? Either that or he became like this when he started sleeping with his brother, who he apparently thought was him. But even that wouldn't put Jason in a favorable light because it would mean he believed he had chosen him as a mate. It would mean he was after becoming an Alpha and ruling his ancestral pack, not love.

"It's none of your business," Kayleb murmured dryly, wanting to add so much more, but with his emotions raging in his body, not one of them would've reached their destination in one piece if he had.

Shocked, Jason backed away, closer to the other boy, whose name he didn't even want to remember. He tried to calm himself down. He knew that he would at least become Kayleb's first Beta. With this in mind, he decided to use it to his advantage.

"As your future first Beta, it is important that I know of-"

"Who said you would be my first Beta?" Kayleb asked firmly, a finality in his tone that even Jason couldn't escape. "Just because your father is the first Beta of my father, who is the Regent Alpha? Or is it because your grandfather was the first Beta of my grandfather? You haven't shown me one bit that you deserve to be a first Beta. You've betrayed me, left me alone to deal with the pain of my brother's accident and everything I don't know yet but will find out soon enough."

Kayleb's words were sharp as daggers, cutting Jason's soul. Cold sweat had formed on his skin as he listened to these in his eyes ungrateful words. Doesn't he remember all the times he helped him with the pups? With the problems their other pack members had in school and all the external threats? Has he forgotten the many hunts they undertook to ensure peace in the Chartred region?

And even though Jason wanted to ask all these questions, he couldn't. He felt a lump in his throat forming as something came to his mind. Something that couldn't be, but maybe he already knows of it? He needed to get confirmation. So he remained silent, afraid that he would say something about it now that fear had taken hold of him.

Looking in the rearview mirror, Kayleb was glad that Jason had finally decided to shut up and remain silent for once in his life.

But right after he turned his gaze back to the road, shock filled his being. Slamming on the brakes, he quickly stopped the car. The resulting screech woke the silent forest and forced some birds to fly away in fear, causing feathers and leaves to fall to the overgrown ground.