Chapter 10

The demon carried the lycan out of the self-made cellar. Outside, the heavy air had cleared, but the feeling of the dark magic attempting to open a gate beneath the village was not only palpable but also polluted the ground, making it unusable and inhabitable.

Kayleb's heart was heavy. He knew none of this would have happened if he hadn't lost control when his twin perished in his accident.

He let the demon carry him out of the side gate that led to the mountain and through the upper part of the orchard down to the animal fields, many of which had already died, corrupted by the dark magic, while some cowered in a far corner, smaller than they ever should have been.

Right down to the fields that seemed largely untouched by the excessive use of dark magic. Next to one of the many windmills were many makeshift houses. He could even smell his villagers from a distance, although he could no longer sense them as their magic cores were all gone, and their remains were with him.

He could hear a bell ringing. He turned his head in confusion, certain no one could see him from this distance. But when his gaze fell on the one carrying him, he realized the demon was impossible to overlook. His horns had grown larger, his skin became paler, and his black eyes actually glowed with a strange black light. If Kayleb didn't know what had happened, he probably would have reacted like the villagers since demons are usually much stronger than most other beings.

The demon hung his head, his pride no longer there. He was once proud of his beauty and strength and that no mortal would ever stay away from him, worshiping him almost as a god. But all that was over now. They stared at him in disgust. His beauty had withered, and his strength was gone. He was beaten by a woman and a witch, which showed how weak he was.

His knees began to buckle as fatigue and general weakness took over. The demon's powers were also weakened, mainly due to his dwindling pride, which formed his strength.

Kayleb could sense it but knew he could do nothing to help him. Every demon was different, and even if the one at his side wasn't the first he'd encountered, he didn't know anything about his type, as demons usually don't get close to someone who can't help them grow stronger by whatever they need.

They barely got to the windmill, where the demon finally gave up, and his body disintegrated. Kayleb was just able to catch him but crashed into the building in front of him. No one came out to look. No one cared. It made him angry because he knew that his grandfather and he taught these people better.

The entire plan had been in the works for generations, but he knew he would be the one to put it into action, and these people were at the center of that plan, or at least they were.

Angrily, Kayleb repeatedly banged his fist against the door. All he got in response was the smell of fear. It angered him even more when these people didn't pay attention to who was outside and whether the person needed help.

"I know my family taught you better!" Kayleb shouted loudly. Suddenly, the silence became eerie. "Now open the stupid door, Roland, or I swear on the moon that the next thing any of you will see is-"

Before he could finish his threat, the door was almost ripped from its frame.

"Sir!" cried the son of the old village chief in surprise.

"At least you remember something. Now get out of the way!"

The older man, Roland the second, was shocked at his master's attitude as he had never seen him in such a bad mood. Because of this, he avoided him and gave Kayleb enough space to get him and the demon into the building.

Kayleb immediately saw hundreds of his people everywhere. Temporary platforms were constructed to accommodate as many people in the mill as absolutely possible.