Chapter 2-Running Into Trouble

"Surely, this is a joke, Little Brother."

Sasuke fights the urge to roll his eyes at Itachi. Immediately after Sai submitted the special request, the older Uchiha brother appeared in his office. "Can you make this quick? I have work to do," he says.

Itachi smiles calmly. Those who know him well are aware that looks can be deceiving, "You're undoubtedly aware that protocol is to get my approval before making employment offers, so I'm owed an explanation."

What he really means is that the CEO will blame him for Sasuke's actions since he's technically his little brother's immediate supervisor. Itachi is the Vice President of Uchiha Corp. Sasuke is the Director of Operations. While the younger brother interacts primarily with those outside the corporate office, Itachi is responsible for everyone's actions within it. Only their father is above them in status. That said, the elder brother must approve any and all staffing decisions above the District Manager role.

Sasuke disregarded this policy completely by sending offers to two applicants rather than one. He created an additional position, doubling the monetary allocation for personal assistants in his division. All of this was done without permission; then, he sent for his brother with a "sorry, not sorry" attitude. It was more of a notification than a special request.

"With the upcoming expansion, the work will double. The extra hands will be needed," Sasuke nonchalantly explains with his eyes glued to his computer screen as he reviews the profit and loss reports for the Uzumaki subsidiary.

Itachi stares at him in mild disbelief, his composure faltering. "That's all you have to say?"

Sai stands alert near the door, his face blank as always. The brothers' bickering is nothing new to anyone who's met the pair.

"That's all. If there's nothing else to discuss, please leave. I need to focus."

With a defeated sigh, Itachi rubs his temples, "I can't keep covering for you like this. Father's still suspicious about Naruto's promotion."

Sasuke locks eyes with his older brother. "Need I go over the reports with you again? He was a sound business choice. His branch's profit has nearly doubled in the last quarter."

"And the fact that he's your best friend has nothing to do with it?"

"What of it? He's making us money. That's all Father cares about."

Itachi's eyes narrow, and his arms fall to his sides, "I'm at my wit's end. If these employees don't prove beneficial to the workplace, I'll tell Mother you want her to call the matchmaker."

That certainly grabs the D.O.O.'s attention. He whispers angrily, "You wouldn't."

"I would," Itachi threatens, a smirk tugging at his lips since his little brother's finally taking him seriously, "You create more problems for me at work than any other employee, and it'll get her off my back about getting married."

"....Fine."

The V.P. leaves Sasuke's office with a smug expression, obviously feeling victorious. Once the door closes behind him, the irritated man behind the desk returns to his work with a scowl.

Sai sorts papers on a clipboard as he approaches the man. As usual, he speaks bluntly: "Miss Haruno hardly seems worth the trouble you're going through to employ her."

Truthfully, Sasuke agrees. When he sent out the employment offers, he expected Itachi to sigh, complain momentarily, and move on like always.

The only reason he went out on a limb for the pink-haired woman is that a person like her has never been in this office. As someone looking to earn significant attention from his father, the CEO, Sasuke's willing to try unique approaches. The fresh personality and point of view may potentially help, but it may also prove detrimental. That's a gamble he's taken rather recklessly.