Chapter 9-Something Has Changed

Sakura tugs at the hem of her skirt while anxiously looking out the window at those passing by on the sidewalk.

On Friday night, while out with her coworkers, she lost her temper and said she'd wear some of the clothing she'd spitefully purchased with the company credit card during her first week of employment. This morning, she woke up early and confidently showered, curled her hair, did her makeup more carefully than usual, and dressed in a tight, tan pencil skirt, flowy blood-red long-sleeved shirt, and pastel pink heels. It wasn't until she got into this taxi that she began questioning her decision.

Uchiha Corp comes into view, and soon, the vehicle stops at the curb.

"Thank you," she mumbles while paying. As soon as she steps out of the car, she's drowning in discomfort. It's almost December. The thin panty-hose under her skirt aren't doing much to fend off the cold air.

When she steps into the building, it's not as easy as usual to ignore the stares of those around her. They're stronger than expected, she supposes, but still. Is it so surprising for her to dress like a woman that these people who see her five days a week have to ogle like they've never seen female legs before? It pisses Sakura off as much as it makes her nervous.

In the elevator, she fidgets with her skirt again. It reaches just below her knees, with a thin slit in the back to make walking easier, but it's skin-tight. All those people were thinking about how flat-chested she is, right? She's not even wearing her usual puffy winter coat. No, she opted for the chic plaid jacket Ino recommended when she came over last night to help pick out the week's outfits.

On the eleventh floor, the doors open. Sakura takes a calming breath before forcing herself to appear confident and unbothered. She lifts her chin and strides calmly down the lengthy hall. Before she can make it halfway to her boss's office, a familiar voice stops her, "Color me impressed. I was sure you'd feign ignorance and show up in one of those dowdy suits today."

The woman rolls her eyes at Sai, not bothering to look his way as he falls into step at her side, "Enjoy this satisfaction while you can because I'm going back to normal after this week."

Sakura doesn't want to admit that she's highly insecure about her body. She also doesn't want anyone to find that out on their own. That's why she's trying so hard to appear collected and unaffected. Since middle school, when girls' bodies began to develop, the pinkette has patiently waited for her glow-up, but it still hasn't occurred. She's accepted that it never will at this point.

Throughout high school, she had three boyfriends within three years. The first two dumped her when she refused to sleep with them, so they didn't last long.

The third one didn't act so irrationally. No, he treated her right for months. Sakura was so smitten that she decided to have sex for the first time with him for their one-year anniversary. It went as smoothly as two seventeen-year-olds sleeping together can go, and the young woman was head over heels for her boyfriend afterward.

Only days later, when she overheard him talking to his friends, did she realize how stupid she'd been. "I can't believe I waited this long for someone with so little sex appeal. You'd think she'd try harder with such a plain body." That's what the boy she thought she loved said. Needless to say, she broke up with him. The fact that he didn't bother asking why and simply accepted it didn't help. Since then, Sakura has avoided romance and men, content to hear about Ino's escapades, watch sappy movies, and read the occasional spicy novel.

Sai wanders off after a few more backhanded compliments, likely to prepare for Ino to arrive and put him through the wringer like always.

"Good morning, Sir," Sakura calls upon entering Mr. Uchiha's office. She slips her jacket off and hangs it and her purse on the hooks nearby. The Uchiha man's usual, gruff sound of greeting meets her ears. She approaches her desk, which sits near the file cabinets. It's not nearly as big as the D.O.O.'s, but it's made of the same wood.