chapter three- leads me back to you

"I don't know how to be normal, Row." Ember droops on the couch next to Rowan. "That's a bit dramatic Em, she's just a person." Leigh says lightly from the kitchen. "Yeah, she was in your position like two or three years ago," Rowan agrees, trying to comfort the girl having a breakdown on her couch. Ember groans and face plants into the cushions, "Ugh, you guys don't get it. She was someone before she even got big. I'm from buttfuck nowhere from a fam-" She cuts herself off, "A town of no-ones. I'm literally a waitress." Leigh makes an offended noise, throwing a carrot peeling at her. "There's nothing wrong with that, but you know what I mean. How am I supposed to do this, I have no idea what a contract is supposed to look like. What if they give me a crap deal?" Ember amends, flipping to her back to stare at the ceiling.

Rowan pokes her friend's head gently, "You think we'd let you do this alone?" Ember sighs, "No, but-" The older girl interrupts her, "Exactly. No. We've got your back, I already texted my dad, he said he has some contacts in entertainment law." At her words, Ember sits up. "I can't ask him-" Rowan pushes her back down gently, shushing her. "You didn't ask for anything, I did. He loved your song and was more than happy to set up a contact for you and cover the bill." "He didn't." Ember says in disbelief, looking at her friend, unconvinced. "I was going to tell you after dinner." Rowan shrugs. Ember covers her face with her hands, "This is happening so fast." The meeting with Interscope was this week, her session with Gracie in less than 24 hours. Yesterday she had been hopeful at least a few patrons would like her music. Today, she had to gather her best material and hope at least some of it was good enough to impress Gracie and Interscope. A timer goes off in the kitchen, rousing her from her racing thoughts. Rowan gives the younger girl an encouraging pat on her arm, standing up. "You can do it. Day by day." She says as she grabs plates and silverware, setting the table. Ember looks back towards the ceiling fan, an overwhelming mix of emotions swirling around. Day by day.

Ember let out a deep sigh as she set her keys down, locking the door behind her. As much as she loved her friends, she wasn't used to it. The offers of help and advice made her feel like she would suffocate and she never knew how to explain that. A part of her knew exactly where it came from, but the rest of her can't let herself think about it. The nineteen year old rubbed the small heart pendant she barely felt anymore, a reminder of what she carried, forever around her neck. Spoon rubbed his head against her calf, breaking her thoughts and she smiled wryly, dropping the pendant. "Alright buddy, let's get my best stuff together."

The girl spent the next few hours reading old scraps of paper, looking through countless notebooks, and playing parts of songs that had some potential. She picked notes delicately on her guitar as she recorded a few of her better ideas on different voice memos. Cutting the recording, the crisscrossed position she had been in for hours made itself known. Picking up her phone, Ember stood and stretched the ache that came from sitting on the wooden floor. She set her guitar in its stand, checking the time. Her eyes widened when the phone screen read 3:17am. A nauseous sensation turned Ember's stomach, nerves making her hands shake. Deep breath, she reminded herself as she got in the shower. Today everything could change. The girl looked in the fogged up mirror, clearing some of the steam away. Bright green eyes looked back at her, and Ember shook her head, feeling a lack of connection with who she was looking at. It was like looking at her fifteen year old self, a girl who was hopeful and unaware of what was coming next. The feeling was auspicious but wary. Ember knew what too much sanguinity could do to a person. As she finally laid in bed, the thought came and looped in her mind like a prayer. I hope everything changes.

The alarm blared way too soon for her liking, almost hitting snooze when Ember remembered what the alarm was for. She sat up quickly, turning the alarm off, rubbing sleep from her eyes. The chilly morning air was horrible motivation to leave her bed, but the anticipation and nerves running through her veins made a decent argument. An hour before she had to leave to have a studio session with Gracie Abrams. Pushing that from her mind, she got dressed, aiming for casual and not trying too hard but something that would make a decent impression. She smoothed her hair, and applied minimal makeup, but added a light amount of her signature maroon eyeliner. Ember turned on the coffee maker and filled Spoon's food bowl quickly, the cat still snuggled under her covers. The girl filled her pink Yeti with the hot black coffee and triple checked her bag had everything she prepared. Once Ember had assured herself that she had everything she needed, she gave her sleeping cat a kiss on his forehead and walked out the door before she found a reason not to.

March was definitely still a winter month to the Southern raised girl. The breeze was light and the sun was shining but she was grateful for the old leather jacket she had the foresight to bring. The walk to High Street to catch the subway was peaceful, the sounds of the city waking up had become a comfort to her over the last few years. The subway was a place she had a love-hate relationship with. Growing up, the only way to get around was by car or a really long walk. Public transport was definitely an interesting place and one of her favorites to people watch. Business people in crisp suits, parents taking their kids to school, teens with headphones looking down, they all served as a reminder to keep a broad perspective. The rolling text finally read 'West 4th St Washington Sq' and she got off, nerves buzzing. Checking her phone, she still had 15 minutes to make the quick walk to Electric Lady Studios. Despite trying to slow down and just absorb her surroundings, Ember is at the door in 3 minutes. Shrugging internally about being a little early, she punches in the six digit code that Gracie's manager had sent the other day. The light flashed green and she was able to push the door open, walking down the hallway to the right room.

Author's Note: it's getting close to finals season at uni so how much i get written is how much i've procrastinated studying for biochemistry ugh. i've found so much out about new york while writing this, if any info is crazy wrong, feel free to let me know. votes and comments will make my day! 

thanks for reading, 

ella