chapter eight- up in lights

TW- mentions of death

Gracie's eyes widened in shock and empathy as Ember's painful revelation hung in the air. She reached out, gently wiping away Ember's tears, her heart aching for the weight Ember had carried for so long. "Honey, no," Gracie whispered, her voice filled with compassion. "You didn't kill your brother. It was an accident, a tragic one. You can't blame yourself for that." Ember shook her head, the pain etched on her face. "I was the one who wanted to leave. If I had just waited, like he asked, if I hadn't been so stubborn..." Gracie cupped Ember's face in her hands, forcing her to meet her gaze. "Em, listen to me. You were both young, you were both scared. It was a terrible accident, and it wasn't your fault. Life is unpredictable, and sometimes, things happen that we can't control." "But I was the one who insisted on going to New York. I was the reason we were on that road," Ember's voice wavered with guilt. Gracie's eyes softened. Clearly the girl had been struggling with this silently so much that she forced herself to believe it really was her fault. "You can't carry this burden alone. Blaming yourself won't change what happened. Your brother loved you, and he made a choice to protect you. It was an act of love, not your fault." As Gracie spoke, Ember's shoulders trembled with the weight of grief and guilt. Gracie pulled her into a comforting embrace, kissing the top of her head and holding her close. "You've been through so much, Ember. I'm here for you. You don't have to face this alone." Ember clung to Gracie, her tears soaking into Gracie's shoulder. Gracie murmured soothing words, offering a lifeline to Ember in the storm of emotions. The room felt heavy with the shared pain, but Gracie remained a steadfast presence.

As the weight of the emotional conversation lingered in the room, Gracie and Ember found themselves sitting close on the couch, a subtle shift in the air that neither of them wanted to acknowledge but both of them wanted to bask in. Gracie hesitated for a moment, her thumb absentmindedly tracing circles on the back of Ember's hand. "You know, Em," Gracie began softly, "I think you're the strongest person I ever met. You hold yourself with such grace and exude kindness despite everything. And you put all of that into your music, too. " Ember met Gracie's gaze, a mix of gratitude and vulnerability in her eyes. "Thank you for being here, Gracie. I've never talked about this, but it's two years today and-" Ember cuts herself off. A tender smile played on Gracie's lips. "You're not alone in this, Em. I meant it when I said I've got you."

The atmosphere between them shifted, a quiet understanding settling in. Gracie's fingers brushed against Ember's, an unspoken connection that sent a subtle warmth through both of them. The room seemed to hold its breath, as if aware of the silent tension that had been building between the two. Ember's heart raced as she felt a gentle touch on her cheek. Gracie's hand brushed her cheek, and their eyes locked in a moment that transcended words. The air seemed to crackle with tension – something that both of them felt but hadn't dared to acknowledge.

Gracie let go of her and moved to keep running her fingers through Ember's hair, suddenly feeling overwhelmingly selfish. With a look at Ember's red rimmed bright green eyes, she put away her growing feelings for the girl in her arms. Ember had just opened up and shared something that had been affecting her deeply and all Gracie could think about is how soft her lips looked. How her radiant eyes looked up at her for comfort. How all she wanted to do was take away her pain and tell her how loved she is. She'd be taking advantage of the sweet girl who was so vulnerable with her tonight. Instead, Gracie simply smiled and held the small girl tighter, feeling her warmth and love. She promised Ember that she'd be there for her and that they'd be friends no matter what. As the night wore on, the soft glow of the TV illuminated the room, creating a cocoon of warmth and shared understanding. Gracie tightened her grip around Ember, and Ember nestled even closer, a warm feeling in her chest.

"Rae?" Ember whispered the nickname she had come up with when Gracie had insisted her name was short enough. "Emmy?" Gracie whispered back in the same tone, heart jumping at the nickname. "Please don't tell anyone. I know you said it's not my fault but I can't- I don't talk about it." Her voice shook a little but was firm. Gracie paused her ministrations on the girl's hair and tried to come up with the right words. "It's not your fault, Em. But of course I won't tell anyone. I'm always here for you, even if you don't want to talk." Ember sighed, a mixture of relief and gratitude washing over her. The room, though heavy with the weight of their revelations, felt lighter with the understanding they had formed. Gracie resumed playing with Ember's hair, the gentle touch serving as a silent promise of solidarity.

As they continued to watch TV, the initial heaviness of the conversation gradually lifted. Gracie couldn't deny the growing warmth in her chest, an emotion that went beyond friendship. She knew Ember was navigating her own sea of emotions, and Gracie respected the delicate balance they had established. Ember, too, felt a comforting connection with Gracie. The way Gracie held her, the soft strokes through her hair, and the understanding gaze communicated a silent reassurance that she wasn't alone.

The hours melted away as they snuggled on the couch, occasionally exchanging light banter and laughter at the expense of the bakers on TV. Gracie stole glances at Ember, admiring the resilience and strength she displayed despite the pain she carried. As the night drew to a close, Gracie knew she had to leave. She reluctantly pulled away from Ember, a pang of reluctance tugging at her heart. "Thank you for letting me come over Em. If you ever need anything, you know I'm just a call away." Ember's chest tightened a little at both her kindness and because she was leaving. "Thank you for listening to me."

They stood up, both feeling a mix of emotions that lingered in the air. Gracie hesitated for a moment before pulling Ember into a warm hug. "Goodnight, Ember. See you tomorrow." "Goodnight, Gracie," Ember whispered, her heart echoing the sentiment. As Gracie left, the apartment felt quieter, yet the warmth of their shared evening lingered. Ember sat on the couch, processing the events of the night. She had been so sure she was never going to share her guilt with anyone but Gracie had torn down all her defenses. A small part of her was scared that they fell so easily, but another part longed for the comfort Gracie had offered. Spoon, having been awakened from the sound of the door shutting, hopped into her lap. Gracie's presence made everything feel right. Ember pet Spoon's soft fur with one hand, the other reaching up to touch her necklace. There was still a pain in remembering but she felt lighter.

Author's Note: omg another chapter? this was pretty much written last night also but it was so long so i cut it into two. i'm so excited for you guys to see the next one, ember is going to meet a fellow cat lover! any guesses on what they'll work on together? (i have so much work, i love procrastinating) thanks for reading, please vote and comment any feedback! also i don't really know how trigger warning work so i hope the one's i put at the beginning are enough. 

happy back to december (taylor's version) month,

ella