#8: In Which There's Lies

Dipping your potato chips into the vinaigrette, you sighed. Just one more day tomorrow, and you'd have the weekend to just calm down and sleep.

Then the door handle rattled. And a few sharp knocks crashed into the door.

You stood up, unlocked it, and tugged it so it wasn't jammed anymore. "Hi, Dad."

He smiled, his eyes not very focused, but he crushed you in a tight hug. "Hi kiddo.. I love you Y/n." His shirt smelled of liquor, but his words didn't slur. He tried to not be drunk whenever he came home for the first time in days. As an apology of some sort.

When he let go, a smile had grown on your cheeks. "I.. I have some chips out- unless you wanted an actual meal.."

"Chips sound great.." He smiled back, groaning as he fell into a seat at the table. "So, how's school been? Anything interesting happening?"

Crunching on a chip, you shrugged. "I mean.. I made a new friend.. and I've been trying to be nicer to Lloyd.. though he hasn't talked to me as much the past few days.."

His brow raised. "Glad you're making friends, but Lloyd? Like the Garmadon kid? You sure he won't.. hurt you in anyway? Not accusing him, just wanna make sure you're safe."

Biting you cheek, you shook your head. "I mean, he hasn't even met his dad before, so how bad can he be? And yeah.. I don't- I dunno.."

He ruffled your hair, smiling. "What else is going on? You texted me about bruises..? I don't see any now, so it's better now.. But you seemed real' scared. Everything alright kiddo?"

"Oh- I um.." How did you even get out of this situation? You couldn't exactly tell him the truth.. he'd just point out a bunch of red flags that.. you were doing your best to ignore.. But you didn't want to lie to him either. "I- found.. I found my soulmate..." Your voice came out as a squeak at the end.

He choked, hitting his lungs in a panic to try and inhale more air. "You- you what?! You have a soulmate? I- congrats kiddo.. but bruises? I haven't.. I've never heard of bruises before.."

Shrugging, you dipped a chip in the vinegar. "I mean.. I dunno.. but it's definitely soulmate stuff.. I dont..I have no idea how common or rare or.. whatever."

Your dad pursed his lips, nodding. "Right.. okay then.. what is his- or her- name? Are they in the city? Go to your school?"

Breath hitched, you swallowed. "I um.. His name- his name is Gr... Grayden.. and uhm.. he does live in the city, but he doesn't go to my school.."

Picking the crumbs out of his beard, he nodded. "Alright.. whenever you feel comfortable for him to meet me, I'll try to clean up and be presentable. For you."

You smiled, placing a hand on his arm. "Thanks.. thanks for trying. I love you Dad."

"Love you too, Kiddo."

Running a hand through his hair, Lloyd sighed

Running a hand through his hair, Lloyd sighed. "Y/n.. I like you.. and I'm the Green Ninja.."

With a groan, he put his face in his hands. "Or.. Y/n, I'm Lloyd Garmadon. No..? I'm the Son of Garmadon, which means that I'm Lloyd Garmadon, and I'm your soulmate. Y/n.. I-"

"Lloyd, will you please just go to bed? I'll help you not be so cringey in the morning. But we have school tomorrow and I want to fucking sleep." Kai groaned, leaning against the bathroom doorframe. "It's 4 am, do you ever sleep?"

Sighing, he turned around and leaned his back against the sink. "I.. I know. I just- I don't wanna mess this up."

Kai rubbed his eye, yawning. "Isn't like the whole thing about soulmates that you're meant for each other? How do you mess up something that's destined to work out? Isn't your whole life already filled with prophecies? What's one more?"

He pursed his lips, "Okay." Lloyd huffed. "I'll go to bed. Sorry to wake you.. It'll probably happen again..."

Walking through the doors of the dojo, he waved to Wu and his younger students, running up the stairs into the private rooms

Walking through the doors of the dojo, he waved to Wu and his younger students, running up the stairs into the private rooms. Lloyd threw down his school bag, slipping off his shirt and stepped into his Gi.

He ran over the words again as he pulled his hood on. He was going to do it. Leaping out of the window, he locked his winch onto the roof of an apartment across the street, and began swinging through the city.

Quick enough, he spotted the familiar apartments. Lloyd couldn't tell if he was excited or scared. Probably both.

His ear buzzed with a notification he'd have to check later, he couldn't get distracted now. If he got distracted he'd get cold feet.

Gracefully stepping onto the fire escape, Lloyd began walked down, fidgeting with the end of his glove. "Just tell her, show her, and you'll be fine.." why was this all going so quick now? School had taken forever.. especially 8th period with math. But now everything was happening so fast.

When did he arrive at her apartment?

Lloyd shook the worries out, running over it again. "Y/n, I know this seems sudden, but you know me. I'm Lloyd... Y/n, I know this seems really sudden, but you know me. I'm Lloyd Garmadon.. some.. variation of that.." It was so complicated for what?

Hearing noise inside the apartment, he glanced through the bedroom, and saw the front door open. She must've just gotten home. Great. Now he might do it, she knew him in school, and was starting to warm up to him. He could do this.

And so he pressed his fingers to the glass, and slid the window up.

Oh.