1 - Messengers

As the boats docked back in Coccham, the mood among Uhtred's men was somewhat somber. That they were able to save the women and children of the Mercian village from slavery was the highpoint of the previous night, though knowing the women had a destroyed village without men to return to weighed heavily on some of their minds. Unfortunately, it was the way of the world, and Uhtred hoped that his message sent back with the man who was spared would quell some of the restless men who lived within Guthrum's lands. It would only be a temporary solution, as things seemed to be slowly spiraling out of the weak Danish earl's control.

The guards who had gone on the short trip to Mercia dispersed to return to their homes or the barracks, though Finan bypassed his own and headed straight for the training field. When he reached the gate, he stood quietly, looking over the assembled guards who were sparring. He smiled when he finally spotted his wife, sparring against Cenhelm and Eadwine.

Finan chuckled as he walked closer, seeing two of the taller guardsmen being bested by a small, whirling spitfire with auburn braids, ducking and striking blows back and forth. Eadwine moved in behind Faoladhean as she blocked a strike from Cenhelm. With an almost preternatural ease, Faoladhean struck backward at Eadwine with her sword as she swept her leg under Cenhelm and knocked him off his feet, then spun and brought her dulled practice seaxe to Eadwine's unprotected side, just below his armpit. In his fatigue, he'd dropped his shield too low, and Faoladhean had gone in for the kill.

Eadwine dropped his sword and shield and put his hands up, breathing hard. "I yield, Lady Wolf," he panted, using the name some of the guard had taken to calling her, then leaned over and pressed his hands to his thighs, trying to catch his breath.

Faoladhean grinned as she turned to help Cenhelm up off the ground, offering him a hand, then patted him on the back as he gained his feet, laughing. "Ye good?"

Cenhelm huffed a groan as he brushed dead grass from his arse. "I really thought I had you that time, Faoladhean. I swear, you have eyes in the back of your head!"

"Nah," she laughed. "I was wielding a sword as soon as I could hold the smallest one available. It becomes second-nature after a while." Her face grew serious as she spoke, turning her head to look at Eadwine, who moved in closer to hear her speaking. "When ye train consistently and well, ye start to see your opponent's moves and almost anticipate them. That is true of one-on-one, or small scale fights, anyway. I have to imagine tis noe quite the same in a shield wall, but once the wall breaks, and ye find yourself fighting man after man, all of your training kicks in and ye dinnae have time to think. Ye just react, and let the muscle memory take over. That is also when ye pray to whatever Gods ye think will listen that ye make it off the battlefield alive, if ye had noe already done so."

"She's right, boys." Finan announced his presence finally as he came up beside Faoladhean and wrapped an arm around her waist. "If ya make it past the shield wall, it is all just reaction for the most part. That is exactly why we train ya as hard as we do."

Eadwine and Cenhelm nodded, faces serious as they allowed the weight of the impromptu lesson to settle on them. "Same time tomorrow, then." Faoladhean said with a friendly smile, dismissing them, and turned to face Finan, her hands coming to rest on his chest. "I assume ye were successful?"

Leaning down to place a kiss on her lips, Finan's hands rested on her hips. "If by successful, ya mean that we saved a few dozen women and children from slavers, and lost none of our own men, aye. Can't say the same for the men or the village itself." He sighed as he rested his forehead on hers.

Faoladhean raised a hand to his cheek. "Ye did the best with what ye had, and saved them from a bleaker future."

With a slight nod, Finan turned his face to press a kiss to her palm, then turned his eyes to meet Faoladhean's gaze. "Ya looked great, m'ghrá. I know ya worried that ya would have to make up for being away, what with the pregnancy and all, but I don't see any difference. Had I not known any better, I would have said you missed no time at all away."