2 - On the Road

Not long after Alfred's surprise visit to Coccham, Faoladhean, Finan, and Aodhán were with Uhtred and Gisela, as well as Sihtric and Clapa, on the road to Wintanceaster for the wedding of Alfred's daughter, Aethelflaed. Faoladhean was not particularly looking forward to it; her brief meeting with Alfred left her thoroughly unsettled. His eyes were shrewd, and he was incredibly observant. Having been raised in a society so different to the Saxons, one in which such deference was not expected toward chieftains, Alfred's presence left her nervous and unsure, worrying that she would make a mistake or insult someone unintentionally. While they traveled, Finan had chuckled and tried to reassure her, telling her that as long as she did not disrespect Alfred or his family outright, she should have little to worry about.

Another concern for Faoladhean, albeit minor, was what she was to wear to such a prestigious event. The pomp and pageantry were completely lost on her. Gisela had suggested Faoladhean wear her wedding dress, which was still pristine since she rarely wore dresses, and it was the nicest article of clothing she owned. Faoaldhean had feared it would no longer fit her properly, as her body had changed since becoming a mother. She was softer across her middle, her hips and thighs wider, and chest larger than ever before, thanks to nursing Aodhán. As she tried on the dress and looked in the mirror, she sighed to herself, seeing and feeling how much differently it fit her now. It was more snug across the chest, though thankfully, it was loose enough around the hips that it wasn't affected there. It was hard for her to adjust to the physical changes, which was one reason she was so glad to wear tunics and trousers every day - they hid the areas that she was now self-conscious of.

Sihtric riding ahead of her and Finan to pull even with Uhtred drew Faoladhean from her thoughts as she focused her attention on him while he spoke.

"I wish to start a family, Lord."

Faoladhean watched as Gisela turned her head to glare at Uhtred. "Uhtred, you will answer him."

Finan glanced over at Faoladhean, a smirk on his face as he saw her eyebrows lifted in surprise.

"I will speak to her in Winchester and give you my answer - but you are to give her no more of your arm rings or silver!"

Hearing Sihtric's excitement in his reply, Faoladhean bit back a laugh as she met Finan's eyes. His smile softened as he looked at her, causing her heart to do the double-beat it always did when he smiled at her like that. He reached over to grab her hand, gently pulling it from the reins to place a kiss on her knuckles. Faoladhean felt her cheeks heat slightly, seeing the hungry look in Finan's eyes, and she looked down briefly, then turned to gaze at him through her lashes momentarily.

"One of the nights we are at the inn," Finan said quietly as he leaned in close to her, "we will have to ask Gisela to take care of Aodhán for a while." He winked at her.

Faoladhean felt her smile falter for a moment, then cleared her throat before responding. "We are to be celebrating the wedding for Alfred's daughter. I hardly think anyone would want to be saddled with a bairn who is noe yet weaned."

"It would only be for a couple of hours. Ya have to get used to not having him with you constantly, you know."

"He is already with Thordis for a few hours a day when I am on duty or training!" Faoladhean scowled as she turned her attention to the road, trying to keep her voice quiet. "I do noe wish to discuss this here and now," she said curtly, and Finan knew it was in everyone's best interest if he let it go for the time being.

Perplexed, Finan sighed as he squeezed Faoladhean's hand once more, then let it go. He knew she was worried about the future, and whatever was coming - he could feel change coming as well; the uncertainty and ominous weight of something changing was nearly palpable. Surely, learning from Erik of the massive fleet of ships assembling to the east was only the beginning of whatever was coming, and he had no doubt that Faoladhean was picking up on that whether she realized it or not; he hadn't had a chance to tell her about Uhtred's conversation with Erik, though with his experience in seeing how Faoladhean just felt things, he wouldn't have been shocked to hear that she already knew it.