7 - A Mother's Heart

Word had come that the Mercian lord would be arriving in Coccham to convene with Uhtred, to share and finalize the plan for reclaiming Lunden from the Thurgilsons and their army. The same day the message arrived from Mercia, Hild pulled Faoladhean aside after Uhtred's announcement to the guard.

"Gisela told me of your plan to join the guard to Lunden, and that you would be in need of a wet nurse. There is a young woman at a nearby nunnery whose child was, sadly, stillborn. The abbess there told me that she is willing to fill the position, if you would have her."

A pang of grief stabbed at Faoladhean's heart, and she found herself unable to imagine how difficult a situation that would be for a mother. She nodded slowly. "I would like to meet with her first, if that is acceptable."

Hild gave her a small smile. "Of course, I will send for her immediately."

Faoladhean flashed Hild a small, grateful smile, about to ask her when the woman could be expected, but Uhtred called her name. "I have other questions though, I will find you in a bit," she said to Hild and patted her on the arm, then turned back toward Uhtred and where he was standing with Finan. "Yes, lord?" She walked back over to stand beside Finan.

"I want you on dock duty with Finan and Clapa the day they are to arrive."

Faoladhean frowned, but didn't question Uhtred. "I will have to find a replacement for my shift, Lord. I was meant to be on the gate that day with Hildræd."

"I will handle it, do not worry."

She nodded. "All right, thank you." Faoladhean watched Uhtred, trying to determine if there was something more that he wanted to say, an eyebrow arching of its own accord.

Uhtred seemed to have lost himself in thought for a moment, his blue eyes glazed over as he looked over the empty hall. Faoladhean glanced at Finan, who gave her a miniscule shrug, just as lost as she was.

"Lord?" Faoladhean asked quietly, growing uncomfortable with the silence, yet not having been dismissed.

Uhtred blinked as he looked back at Faoladhean and Finan. "I do not trust Æthelred or his ability to lead. And I do not know what Alfred's plan is by putting him in charge."

Faoladhean was quiet for a moment. "I suppose that Alfred has put Æthelred in command because Lunden is Mercian; that way, if something were to go terribly wrong, it would noe be on the shoulders of Wessex."

Finan nodded, and Uhtred looked over at him. "You agree?"

"I do," Finan said as he crossed his arms over his chest, "but I also think it is meant to be a slight against you, being banished and all."

Uhtred scoffed and rubbed his chin for a moment. "Most likely. Though I do not doubt that Alfred will have his own plan in mind of how both armies are to approach the siege. We will have to see when Æthelred arrives." Uhtred sighed, still pensive. "That is all for now."

Faoladhean and Finan both gave him a brief nod and turned to leave the hall. She smiled when Finan reached out to take her hand in his. "I have to find Hild, we have the matter of the wet nurse to discuss." Faoladhean looked over at Finan as they walked out the door. "Would ye like to accompany me?"

Finan smiled. "Actually, I was thinking about collecting Aodhán to take him home. Why don't ya talk to Hild, then meet us there?"

Smiling at Finan's use of "us," Faoladhean rocked onto her toes to press a quick kiss to his lips. "All right, love. I will noe be long."

Hild was sitting on a bench outside of her church with Cwenthryth, reading a verse from the book Faoladhean had heard so much about. She stood quietly, listening to the words Hild, who had not yet noticed her, recited.