one

Haymitch paced in front of Katniss and Peeta, his expression serious

Haymitch paced in front of Katniss and Peeta, his expression serious. "Forget what you think you know about the Games," he said. "This year you're up against experienced killers."

Peeta looked concerned. "What does that mean for us?"

"It means you need allies," Haymitch stated bluntly. "Most of these tributes have years of friendship between them. You're at a disadvantage and high on their kill list."

Katniss crossed her arms defiantly. "No. Allies will just slow us down."

Haymitch turned to her. "Going it alone is suicide. They'll target you immediately."

Peeta tried to reason with her. "He's right Katniss. We need help to survive."

But Katniss remained stubborn. "How can we trust any of them?"

Haymitch's tone hardened. "It's not about trust. It's about strategy and staying alive. I know these people. Make allies your own way, but do it."

Haymitch turned on the screen, profiles of the tributes appearing. "Cashmere and Gloss, siblings from 1. Capitol favorites who won consecutive Games. Lethal and well-sponsored."

He clicked again. "Brutus and Enobaria - the savage faces of the Career pack. Watch out for her fangs."

More faces flashed by as Haymitch briefed them. "Beetee and Wiress - intelligent but not killers. Morphlings - camouflage experts turned addicts. Not a threat."

Finnick Odair's handsome visage appeared. Katniss raised an eyebrow. "Capitol's golden boy and a skilled warrior," Haymitch described. "Especially deadly in water."

"Weaknesses?" Peeta asked.

"Mags. She volunteered for Annie, was Finnick's mentor. He'll protect her regardless."

Katniss scoffed, "He must know she can't win. I doubt he'll stick his neck out."

Haymitch gave her a look. "Careful. He's more loyal than he seems."

Haymitch clicked the screen again. "Now for District 7 - potential allies or lethal threats."

Johanna Mason and Alistair Arrow appeared. Johanna glared at the camera angrily while Alistair's expression was unreadable.

"Johanna won by feigning weakness then axing her competitors," Haymitch explained. "Alistair dominated with stealth and archery skills. Rumor is he's your male counterpart, Katniss."

Katniss raised an eyebrow. "And what do you believe?"

Haymitch pondered a moment. "I believe the games turn even good souls into killers. But Alistair may still have compassion underneath. He's not as cold-hearted as they claim."

"You seem convinced he's on our side," Katniss said skeptically.

"I can't guarantee anything. But if we get him as an ally, it improves our odds," Haymitch replied.