four

A silver parachute glinted through the canopy, directing the group to dash toward the landing gift from a sponsor

"It's from Haymitch!" Katniss proclaimed, retrieving a metal device.

Alistair and Finnick leaned in for a closer look. "A spile - for tapping trees," Alistair recognized. At last, a chance at hydration.

Katniss wasted no time driving the spile into a nearby tree trunk. To their overwhelming relief, a trickle of water began dripping out.

A rare smile broke across Alistair's face. Katniss eagerly gulped down the first mouthful straight from the tree. When she finished, Finnick gently pushed Alistair forward.

He tilted his head back, the stream of cool, pure water the most glorious thing he'd ever tasted. Alistair drank deep, feeling strength returning to his limbs. 

Scooping up handfuls of water, Alistair washed the grime of battle from his skin.

Finally he moved aside so the others could quench their throats.

-----

Settling down to rest, Alistair was soon joined by Peeta making himself comfortable at his side.

Alistair sighed, "How do you always end up next to me?"

Peeta shrugged good-naturedly. "I don't know...you give off peaceful energy, I guess."

"Peaceful?" Alistair repeated with an incredulous huff. "That's a first."

"What can I say, you have a soothing presence," Peeta said lightly. When Alistair just shook his head, Peeta added, "Would it help if I talked about bread baking until you fell asleep?"

Alistair blinked then couldn't help an unexpected laugh. Peeta grinned, pleased to get a genuine smile out of him for once.

"So you do have a sense of humor buried in there somewhere," Peeta chuckled. "Who knew?"

Alistair's eyes glinted with remnants of amusement. "Don't get used to it," he said wryly. But somehow Peeta's gentle banter made him feel just a bit more at ease.

Alistair drifted off, the faint hint of a smile still on his lips. Nearby, Katniss kept watch while Finnick tended the fire.

Hours later, he awoke to soft whimpers. Peeta thrashed beside him, trapped in a nightmare. Gently, Alistair shook his shoulder. "Peeta, wake up."

With a sharp gasp, Peeta's eyes flew open. He stared at Alistair with confusion and lingering fear. "I saw...I was..." he trailed off, trying to slow his rapid breaths.

"Just a bad dream," Alistair assured. On impulse, he squeezed Peeta's arm. 

Peeta clutched his hand tightly for a moment as he oriented himself. Finally, his breathing calmed and he managed a shaky nod of thanks.