six

Alistair knocked an arrow, surveying their surroundings warily

Alistair knocked an arrow, surveying their surroundings warily. Peeta trailed him closely, machete gripped tight, eyes roving the jungle's dark perimeter. Their weapons were aimed outward for now, but muscles remained tensed for the inevitable redirected assault.

"So what happens when that wire's laid?" Peeta murmured. "We just...turn on each other?"

Alistair adjusted his grip on the bow, not yet looking back. "It seems the logical conclusion, however unnatural it feels." 

Once the wire was set, the arena would force them to fulfil its goal - to fight until one lone winner emerged bloodied and likely irreparably broken.

Peeta dragged a hand across his face. "I don't know if I can just...attack you all. Even knowing it's what the Gamemakers want."

Jaw tightening, Alistair responded softly, "If you don't strike first, someone else will." He finally met Peeta's conflicted gaze. "I don't relish it either. But hesitation means death here."

Only one would leave the arena alive. 

-----

"Peeta!" Alistair shouted, realizing suddenly he and Beetee had vanished from sight.

He whirled towards Finnick. "Do you see them anywhere?"

Finnick peered desperately into the darkness. "Too dark - I can't tell!"

A twig snapped and Finnick halted abruptly, raising his palms. Alistair followed his gaze to see Katniss emerging from the trees, arrow aimed directly at Finnick's chest.

"Katniss, remember who the real enemy is here," Finnick implored carefully.

Alistair pushed in front of him protectively. "What are you doing? Put it down!"

Katniss glanced rapidly between them, seeming to reconsider. Then her eyes flashed with realization. She swiftly turned, shooting high into the invisible dome ceiling. Suddenly everything went blindingly white.

"Katniss get away from that tree!" Alistair roared desperately. An ear-splitting boom drowned his voice as the lightning blast roared down into the arena, triggering a concussive explosion that flipped the earth.

Then everything went dark. His last conscious sensation was a strong pair of arms wrapping tight around him, his body shielded by another as they crumpled to the churning ground. Blackness engulfed him, the rest of the world lost to oblivion.

----

Alistair awoke slowly, head aching. White walls surrounded him and he looked down to see Finnick dozing fitfully, head resting on Alistair's arm.

"Where are we?" Alistair rasped, sitting up and jostling Finnick awake too.

"On a hovercraft bound for District 13," Finnick answered, rubbing his eyes. "It still exists underground apparently."