two

Alistair was lost in thought when Johanna barged into his room

"What's got you looking so serious?" she asked, plopping down on his bed.

"An alliance between 7, 12, and 3," Alistair said.

Johanna let out an amused laugh. "An alliance with the star-crossed lovers? How adorable."

Alistair gave her a look. "It's a logical strategy. Combined we could control the Games."

Johanna turned thoughtful. "Having the girl on fire on our side could be useful. And those tech geeks may have skills we lack."

Johanna raised an eyebrow, sprawling out on the bed. "An alliance with the star-crossed lovers? How romantic."

Alistair shot her a look. "It's not about romance. It's strategy."

"Uh huh. And let me guess, it was Katniss's idea?" Johanna asked knowingly.

"Yes, her proposal makes sense logically," Alistair said. "With both our districts, we could control the game."

Johanna nodded thoughtfully. "Allying with her beloved and those tech nerds could work to our advantage. Lull them into trusting us before we strike."

Alistair frowned. "I was thinking more of a sincere team effort."

"Please, you know there can only be one victor," Johanna scoffed. "Get too attached and you're asking for a knife in the back."

She eyed Alistair closely. "Or is this about your hatred of Snow? Don't tell me you're going rogue."

Alistair held her gaze. "I plan to undermine the games, one way or another. Are you with me or not?"

Johanna slowly grinned. "Now you're speaking my language."

------ 

Alistair and Johanna sat in tense silence awaiting their individual assessments. Behind them, Finnick leaned over to tap Alistair's shoulder.

"Nervous?" he asked with his usual smug grin.

Alistair barely suppressed an eye roll. "Do you ever stop talking?"

"I just find you so pleasant to chat with," Finnick quipped.

"Well that makes one of us," Alistair said flatly, turning away dismissively.

Finnick grabbed his arm. In a flash, Alistair had a knife to his throat.

"I'd think carefully before touching me again," he said softly, cold eyes boring into Finnick's.

Finnick looked momentarily stunned as the knife pressed to his throat. But then he smiled and swiftly slipped a golden bracelet onto Alistair's wrist.

"Alliance formed by Haymitch," he explained, admiring the bracelet. "You shouldn't threaten your friends like that."