Chapter 3: Heartbreak.

(Slightly angsty btw 😔)

Narrator
Noah figures that he may as well ask Cody out. I mean, nothing could possibly go wrong.
Right? No, I'm just kidding. Everything with go very okay.
Okay. That was a lie.
Noah
I head back to my house, considering the plan. It was good, I must admit. I thought Eva was all brawn, no brains. I'm kidding, I'm kidding. She's a nice friend.
Right, plan ask Cody out is on. I walk down to my local candy store to buy a bag of gummies and hastily head back home. You can't screw this up, right? With the way Cody has been acting around me, I wouldn't be surprised if he liked me back. He's so cute when he acts like that. What? I didn't say anything.
Move along.
Anyway... I step foot into my house and fling my shoes off. I've got no time to waste. I snatch a pen from my pencil case and tear a piece of paper.
I scribble "ily <3" on the note.
God, I'm so cringe.
I fold it up and poke a slight hole in the corner of the paper before tying it to the bag. I'm not very good at tying knots, but I tried, I guess. I put it beside my bag and get ready for school. I can't believe I'm actually going through with this. Am I dreaming or something?
Cody
I actually enjoyed today. It was fun. But... I may or may not have gone bright red when Noah slumped onto my shoulder. I swear I dreamt that. That couldn't have been real, right? I sigh. It is my birthday tomorrow though. That's cool I guess. But my parents aren't home for my birthday. Again. I guess I'll have the cake to myself? That's fine.
Actually...
What if I invite Noah?
I'm sure he wouldn't mind, right?
~~~
The next day
Noah
I wake up the next day. I'm still tired. I can't complain, though. I did stay up all night reading. I sigh as I roll out of bed and get changed. My parents are already at work, so I guess I have to make breakfast myself. Hm. I'll just get some cereal. Low effort, but still tastes decent.
I pour the milk into the bowl.
Then add the cereal.
Yes, I put the milk first. Grow up. It makes zero difference.
I sit down on the sofa and turn the television on. Same boring news, as per usual. I finish my bowl of cereal and head upstairs to get ready.
Okay.
Deep breath.
Today is the day.
You can do this.
I head out of the door, locking it behind me. I can't lie, I am slightly nervous.
It'll be fine.
I walk down to my bus stop. It's freezing. Why did I leave so early? I genuinely can't think straight today. I clutch the bag of gummies in my hand, my palm sweating slightly, ven though it's like at least 3 degrees (celcius, that is). I see my bus driving over. Okay, phew. I can finally get outta the cold.
I grab my bag of the concrete and step inside the bus. I look for a seat. Okay, got one. I fling my bag on the empty seat next to me, and tuck my hands under my elbows to warm them up.
I sigh.
You can do this.
It can't be that hard.
My bus stops at the front of my school.
I get out.
3...2...1...okay, go.
Cody
I'm standing outside of school in the freezing cold. No one has said anything to me yet. Not even a 'hi,' or 'hello.' I sigh. I might try to ask Noah to come round later. I'll see. What if he wishes me happy birthday? That would be the best birthday gift ever. I walk inside, hiding the the shadows slightly. Everyone always gets bullied when it's their birthday here. Its a normal occurrence. Reaching my locker, I see Sierra running toward me. She's a classic high school stalker-type girlfriend. She isn't even my girlfriend, that's the thing.
I open my locker to grab my stuff when she rams into me. Seriously, she's nice, but it's a bit... excessive.
Wait..
I spot Noah, standing. Staring.
At me and Sierra.
He's got a bag of sweets in his hand.
Oh. No. This can't be happening, right. Right?
My heart starts to race as I shake Sierra off of me.
"But Codykins! I wanted to wish you happy birthday!" She complains angrily.
I don't really care right now. I'm so angry I can't even explain it.
I try to catch up to Noah, but fail.
"Noah! Wait up!" I breathe. He keeps walking. What have I done..?
"Sierra-" She's crying now.
"Sierra, I'm sorry for pushing you, but-"
She storms off. The two people who genuinely cared about me. Gone. Dissolved. Amazing. The best birthday gift ever.
I walk to my class, staring at the floor.
This couldn't possibly get any worse.
Noah
What. The. Hell? I genuinely thought Cody liked me. Turns out he's got a girlfriend. I mean.. I'm happy for him, but... my eyes water. I stuff the gummies into my bag before storming away to my class.
I see Eva. She's never seen me cry before. No one has. I blink away the tears as fast as possible.
"Hey, Noah. How'd the plan g-"
I interrupt her. I can't bare to hear anymore of this.
"Just great. Thanks." I storm past without thinking. It kind of makes me sad. Sarcasm; my power and my weakness.
I sit down in my next class, already waiting for this au to be over.
~~~
Alright. It's break. Finally.
I get a notification from my phone. Its Geoff. Of course.
"Hey, dude! I'm throwing a surprise party tonight! It'd be great if you could come." Classic Geoff. Always partying. No matter what. Breakup? Party. Broke a leg? Party. (Seriously, he actually did that once.) I sigh and reply with a short "ok, sure ig."
I shove my phone back into my pocket, before the bell goes for the end of break. Well... this is gonna be.. awkward.
Cody
I get a text from Geoff asking to hangout. Usually he invited me to a party. Not sure what happened. I guess I could, I have no one else to hang out with, anyway. I was planning on inviting Noah round, but I think that might be a bad idea. I head back to my next class. Maths. Just what I need on my birthday.
Narrator
So.. Noah and Cody aren't on the best terms right now. Oops? Let's skip forward a bit to the start of the party, shall we? I wonder what could happen now...
~~~
Cody
I get my shoes on ready to go the Geoff's. I have nothing better to do, and I really don't wanna lose another friend, so, this is my only way out. I quickly lock the door behind me as I grab my bike to leave. Geoff's house is huge. Like... huge, huge. He usually throws massive parties, so it kind of suit him. Surprised he isn't throwing one today actually. He throws parties any chance he gets.
I finally pull up to Geoff's house. Its dark inside. This is the right house, I think. Right?
I knock on the door.
The light on the corridor turns on.
Oh! I guess this is nice.
"Happy birthday!" Geoff yells.
Everyone else appears from round the corner. By 'everyone else,' I mean people like Heather, Al, Tyler Lindsay, Eva and Izzy. No sight of Noah though. Oh well. It's not like he'd talk to me anyways.
I walk in and take my shoes off to see a massive buffet, drinks of all sorts, and most importantly, candy. I jump a bit in excitement. No one's ever done anything like this for me. I smile at my friends and go and join in with their conversation.
The doorbell rings.
...
It's Noah.

hello 😭
I cried during making this btw I hope ur happy
Also cliffhanger omg 😱