Chapter Six: Truth

Francis was pacing around his room for the past week, trying to figure out how to get more time with Diana before her mother got here in a month.
When Bash and Andre told him about the possibility that she could be married to an English Lord and a horrible one at that, he knew he needed to get a move on.
He would need to see if he could get a chance to have some time with her today.

*IN THE THRONE ROOM*

All of the courts have gathered in the throne room. On this day, a group of foreigners has gathered while the King and Queen speak of who they're betrothing the younger Prince to. This is what Francis walks into, he seeing Diana there watching everyone, and when she sees him, he smiles at her, then loses it when he sees Mary, but she seems more interested at staring at Andre

"Let's agree - it's a brilliant match. Madeleine's French, so there's no question of her family's loyalty. It's very wealthy."

"But not royal, so they're hungry for power."

"They'll pay for it."

The King's concern lifts at the thought, and Francis had to stop the scoff, but his mother was correct. He was also struck with the thought of what his and Diana's children would look like.

"It's only right to accept the support of one's loyal subjects."

"And she has a giraffe."

Catherine looks at her young son, who finally smiles.

"Well, Madeleine's widely travelled. She's come from far away. By ship."

"Do I get a giraffe, too?"

"The moment she's your bride."

As Catherine continues to put her child at ease, Henry makes preparations.

"Francis, to show our respect, I want you to accompany your little brother to the landing."

"Can Bash come as well?"

"Charlie. You know that Bash isn't really your brother. He's just your father's son."

Francis and Sebastian both look at each other from across the room and smile faintly, and I could feel my annoyance at that.

"His presence is disrespectful."

"The girl's parents were enjoying Morocco, so they sent her on alone."
"Barely. She was more afraid of meeting her future husband than of pirates. Well, that's to be expected at age seven. She'll get in line. We all do. Why doesn't Diana accompany them? She is a strong, reassuring presence and can protect herself well."

Mary had a frown on her face stepped forward with a smile to King Henry.

"Perhaps I can go with Francis? I came here, too, when I was a child. Perhaps I can reassure her?"

"It's several hours' journey. I think Diana should go."

"Then we'll take food and treats. I don't mind, really."

Catherine really didn't want Mary to go and could see Henry considering it.

"On second thought, why don't we greet the girl here? We don't know.-- The journey might not be safe."

"They'll stay on the King's Road. A dozen well-armed guards will keep any bandits away. Andre, you will accompany them."

With the matter settled, Henry takes off to set up the trip up. I had to admit that I was confused about what had just happened, but it was an exciting trip.