I fall on my knees

Oscar

Oscar

Moving to South Korea for my father's career was downright the stupidest thing he could have chosen for us.

Me, a sixteen-year-old teenage New Yorker, who found comfort in the legality of weed consumption (though illegal at my age) and the lack of friendliness from our snobbish neighbors, thought it was so stupid that my old man decided to fly his whole family to a country across the world and decided that it'd be our home.

My sister did not agree. She had this obsession over Korean men, gushing about how she'd now be able to live the life.

I asked her why she couldn't live the life in New York, and she responded that New York was gray and filled with bad, capitalistic energy.

South Korea wasn't any more different. We were treated like aliens our first year. There was a definite language barrier and I struggled to communicate. I studied in an international school a grade lower that still had more Koreans than foreigners due to some ratio policy.

Second year in South Korea, my father decided for me that he wanted me to study business in university.

One problem: my grades were absolute shit.

One day, the doorbell rang.

Going to open the door under my father's orders, I came face to face with a woman.
Her hands frozen above the doorbell, about to press down onto the button.

"Oscar Cameron?" she asked, her hand falling limply to her side.

She told me her name, but I never called her by it.

To me, she was always New York.

'Why?', you may ask.

Home, I'd answer.

It's because she had always felt like home.

_______________________________________________________________________________